Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teenage girls

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    I probably could've just as aptly called this thread simply teenagers, but thought throwing in girls might get it noticed more...

so i'm 17, (almost 17.5 by the way, april 3rds my half bday!) and i'm a teenager. I think that's pretty cool. i'm pretty typical for my generation. I basically do my own thing.. trying to be an individual.. along with everyone else. to me being a teenage girl means i crave attention, respect, and making the best memories i can. i can remember being a little kid watching TV and i couldn't wait till i was a teen. I know years from now, i'll wish i still was a teen.

So the big Q of the thread will be, what defines teenager-uh-hood? and why is it one of those things thats so... everyone wanting to be one...?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2

think about it: no bills to worry about, no job ( and even if you have one, it's to pay for your weekends), no other mouths to feed (aside from your own, which you can do pretty much however you want, since you won't put on an ounce of fat!), and you are basically at your physical peak up through your teens into your mid twenties. It's good to be young!
  4. Mar 6, 2005 #3
    When I look back at my teenage years I think of complete embarassment/idiocity/naivitee :redface:
  5. Mar 6, 2005 #4
    Ya, but i need new clothes!

ya, because mom and dad won't buy anything for me any more! i hate flipping burgers and making french fries, it makes me break out!

Hah! my boyfriend eats like a pig... i always have to buy him dinner... And hello! if i ever put on a whole once of fat, i would DIE! last week i gained .000321 lbs and i cried for hours!

Physical peak?!? eww... do you mean excersize... i don't actually like to sweat... i just eat as little as possible.. thats the best way to go... really healthy...

All that is really nice when you look back on it... but its not really that simple when you're still young
  6. Mar 6, 2005 #5
    I'm a teenage boy, and I know lots of people who seem to be like you, wanting to live it up as a teenager the most that they can and don't seem like they'll want to ever be anything but a teenager. I don't understand people like that at all - what's the point of spending your whole life looking back on your time in highschool and college and wishing you were back in there? In my opinion, if you spend your whole life reminiscing about being a teenager, you're not doing enough to enjoy your life as a whole.

Certainly being a teenager has lots of props, especially none of the responsibilities of adulthood, but who would want to live a life that's constantly declining after you get out of college?
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  7. Mar 6, 2005 #6
    I'm actually not that way very much... I know people *dad* cough cough* who spend forever getting drunk remember his old football and track days. I'm not that way at all, and i won't ever be. I said i want to have a lot of great experiences so i have something to look back on that i can appreciate... not so i can spend the rest of my life looking back on it.
  8. Mar 6, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Teenage years were okay, but I think my 20's were better. I'm not done with my 30s yet, but they're looking pretty good too. As for kids looking forward to being teenagers, mostly it's just hype, but it's also that in your teenage years you start to gain some of the freedoms of adulthood - not all of them, but you're on a much longer leash than as a kid.
  9. Mar 6, 2005 #8
    ok new plan... what defined (or is currently defining) YOUR teenaged years?
  10. Mar 6, 2005 #9
    I agree. I don't really like my teenage years all that much... I don't fit within the archetypal teenage stereotype and there are few who understand me. I'm not a party guy, not interested in being cool or popular, but actually interested in learning. I'm the type who would rather spend my spare time reading or pondering whatever the universe holds. And, as such a person, find that others who share my interests are exceedingly rare.

I just hope that things get better in the future.
  11. Mar 6, 2005 #10
    Um.. frustration, loneliness, slight depression. The good parts are too far in between and don't come around often enough. Probably the only things that keep me going throughout the school day are my calculus class and band.
  12. Mar 6, 2005 #11

Staff: Mentor

My daughter is a teenager with one more year of high school. She is not inclined to work (e.g. flipping burgers). She has a boyfriend, who is actually a very 'nice' young man, and one whom I trust.

I started working when I was 15 and a junior in high school. My parents, mother in particular, informed me that if I wanted to go to college I was expected to work. So I got a job in a neighborhood nursery and gardening center working after school and on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) during my junior year. So no time off, until a summer science training program (in EE and Nuc. E.) out of town at Colorado School of Mines. During my senior year, I worked sacking groceries and then stocking the dairy section after school and on weekends until I entered university (when I just worked weekends). During my freshman year, I focused on studies. In the summer I got a full time job on campus as a plumber and maintenance helper. I kept that job part time for my sophomore year. During my junior year, I worked in a kitchen of one of the college dorms and also worked a janitor's job at night. That paid for room and board, tuition, and car.

Both my parents worked, but neither made a large salary (one of the reasons I had to work). I am one of four kids, and since I was the oldest and both parents worked, I took care of my sister (5 years younger) and youngest brother (8 years younger). Later in college, since I was paying my way and had extra money, I helped my parents pay for my brothers and sister.

I have worked full time, or sometimes part-time while in school, since I was 15. For several years in graduate school, I worked full time (40 +) and went to school full time. I left graduate school without debt and actually paid off most of my wife's school loans.

Peak physical condition is about mid 20's (about 22-26), after that, it's down hill.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  13. Mar 6, 2005 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't really feel like I've moved from one phase of my life to another -- life just keeps moving forward. I'm only 26, though, so I'm not as old as some of you. :biggrin:
  14. Mar 6, 2005 #13
    it seems the look on homer's face on your avatar perfectly explains your situation...
  15. Mar 6, 2005 #14
    Ironically so. Kinda weird how life works its way in and out.
  16. Mar 6, 2005 #15
    Thats like how i was in highschool. I hit depression pretty hard my freshman sophomore years, and when i sorta came out of it junior year (last year) i went kinda... weird... i hated calc though... and i never got into band... i did ditch friends to hang in the library a lot though. but i think i get how you feel.
  17. Mar 6, 2005 #16
    I think we tend to look back on our teenage years in much the same way one sells real estate: accentuate the positives and downplay the negatives. Still, I think what is most exciting about your teenage years is opportunity. As a teenager, nearly every path is open. As we make more and more choices in life, our options tend to narrow down.
  18. Mar 6, 2005 #17
    i think thats probably one of the scariest things about being a teenager. You feel like your so free... but that you have to decide your future cause everything you do now limits what you can do later... It kills me to see my little sister (15) already planning out her career... she still has 3 years of highschool left but she's telling me that she has to make decisions else her windows of opportunity will close!
  19. Mar 6, 2005 #18
    I was 17 in 1967
    how do I get a dueover?
    wish I knew then what I know now
    growing older succkks
    but beats the only other option
  20. Mar 7, 2005 #19

Or you could fall through an Einstein-Rosen Bridge and end up in an alternate universe
  21. Mar 7, 2005 #20
    Now for my singularly jaded opinion on these matters, one week before my 18th birthday...

Ok you can't have it both ways. You can be a typical teenagre or an individual. No way in hell you can be both. So pick. And i don't just mean from a semantic standpoint. I can walk between groups of people, and almost not notice that the conversations change sometimes, its sickening really. They've all got their ipods, listening to the same 'hip' music, wearing the same 'hip' clothes, and talking about the same 'hip' drivel.

Typically teenagers crave those the most when they are the least deserved.

That makes one of us.

Teenage is the age between when idiocy is excusable and unexcusable, without any change it in its frequency.

At least thats my observation of teenagers.

But don't mind me, i'm a cynically depraved and jaded arsehole.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?