Teenage girls

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
FredGarvin said:
That's actually pretty damned good. I am not going to get into the whole your generation is worse than mine because...it's been the same for millenia. However I do find it funny that all of the people who are 'trying' to be an individual are all wearing the same fad-ish clothes and watching the same idiotic tv programs and basically being a sheep.
thats kinda what i mean. I mean i think i'm pretty different, but it seems like my generation is all about being "unique," and yet everyone still has the same petty ideas. I probably walk both lines, of being trendy and of not caring. I was kinda popular in school, sometimes that'd be cool, sometimes annoying because i couldn't read a book without people asking me why, or walk away from a group of annoying people without being followed.

I think the response here is probably pretty different then i would've got asking a lot of other people about their teenage years. I'm not getting the impression that anyone recalls theirs terribly fondly. Or that those of us still living through theirs are really enjoying them.

I started my teens really crummy, i guess i'm just trying to be more optimistic for what i have left of them.

matthyaouw
Gold Member
Gale17 said:
Ya, but i need new clothes!
Need, or want?

ya, because mom and dad won't buy anything for me any more! i hate flipping burgers and making french fries, it makes me break out!
Thats life. You can't expect everything to neatly fell into your lap with no effort. I have a job too, and even when i don't want to, I make the effort to put in extra hours and earn myself some extra cash. No sense complaining when theres work to be done.

Hah! my boyfriend eats like a pig... i always have to buy him dinner... And hello! if i ever put on a whole once of fat, i would DIE! last week i gained .000321 lbs and i cried for hours!
Are you serious? 0.000321 lbs is absolutely nothing, hell an ounce is absolutely nothing. Why are you so concerned about your weight?

Physical peak?!? eww... do you mean excersize... i don't actually like to sweat... i just eat as little as possible.. thats the best way to go... really healthy...
Starving yourself is not the best way to go, and its not healthy. You could become malnourished and extremely unhealthy by eating as little as possible, where as good meals and exercise are good ways to improve your physique and overall health. Just out of curiosity, how much do you eat in a day?

All that is really nice when you look back on it... but its not really that simple when you're still young
I'd like to disagree, since I'm only 18 myself. If you fret so much about new clothes, a bit of hard work, a few grams of weight and the horrible prospect of a little healthy exercise, then of course you won't enjoy your teenage years to their full potential. Frankly, you need to stop fussing so much about little things, and just enjoy what you have. Don't take it for granted, as you'll never have it again.

For me, teenage years are a time for learning. Not learning in school, but learning about life, and gradually maturing with each mistake you make, and each new thing you experience, having your fair share of fun and relaxation along the way, and maybe if you're lucky, coming out the other end as a better person, and maybe as an adult.

Teenage years are great. A wonderful mix of the liberties granted by childhood and the liberties granted by adulthood that you will never have again.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Gale17 said:
so i'm 17, (almost 17.5 by the way, april 3rds my half bday!) and i'm a teenager.
You're 17 and you're a teenager? Wow, you almost never see that. (Sorry, but I had to do that.)

So the big Q of the thread will be, what defines teenager-uh-hood? and why is it one of those things thats so... everyone wanting to be one...?
Other than being between the ages of 13 and 19, the teenage years are mostly defined by an awkward lack of self. Most teens both look and feel a little goofy. They haven't quite grown into their bodies yet and may have oily hair and skin or underdeveloped musculature. As they have generally yet to create many things that are truly their own (house, family, and such), they are still defined largely by the house and family of their childhood, along with whatever groups of people they associate with.

By the way, since when does everyone want to be a teenager? I find the teenage years to be rather loathsome in many ways. For whatever reason, I basically finished going through puberty by 14 (fully grown, voice changed, bodily hair and all that) so it wasn't so bad for me, but even so. Teenage politics are just flat-out stupid and high school always seemed lacking. It's better in the AP classes, but even in regular honors courses too many students goof around and are more concerned with appearing cool than learning anything. Teenage relationships are a bit of a joke when you look back on them, as well. Don't get me wrong, I had my requisite high school sweetheart that I loved a great deal and we had many wonderful experiences together (and those that weren't wonderful at least make great stories), but without a great sense of who you are, it's hard to propertly relate yourself to another. The girl, in particular, had a lot of trouble with this. She just didn't seem to be able to conceive of herself except in how she was related to me. If she wasn't happy with me, she couldn't be happy. Same thing with her mother and other people that were important to her.

loseyourname said:
You're 17 and you're a teenager? Wow, you almost never see that. (Sorry, but I had to do that.)
heh..... good one...

matthyaouw, i was kidding about all that, but seriously, i know people who are almost (i exaggerated a little) that way. I know a lot of people who're that serious about clothes and weight. Most of my friends for starters. I still kick myself for becoming friend with them when i was all depressed freshman year. I'm not that bad, really...

Ok, so i have a new question. I graduates highschool early, and college is very different. I don't know how much i like college, but i hated highschool, so its definetly an improvement. I'm really glad i got out early, even if only a semester early, and i wish i had just left last year. A lot of people said i shouldn't graduate early, it'd be awkward (which it was) but maybe its worth it? Do you think it was probably better to leave the highschool scene since it was so miserable? Do you think maybe more kids ought to? I think a lot of the problems with teenage years are probably the fact that you're stuck in highschool.... but maybe the feeling of being stuck is the products of being a teen... i'm not sure... i'm glad i'm done with it though....

JasonRox said:
So, you're an individual. Good for you. :rolleyes:

That makes you so much better than everyone else. :rolleyes:

You choose to talk about things others don't like. :rolleyes: Where the others like to talk about things people like you don't like.

Note: Stop trying so hard to be an individual.

what the heck are you talking about?

why do i care about individualism? I'm talking about how they're all utter morons.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hmm, being a teenager, that's when you still know everything and aren't afraid to inform everyone else of that. :biggrin:

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
franznietzsche said:
what the heck are you talking about?

why do i care about individualism? I'm talking about how they're all utter morons.
By calling them that, you are so much better. :rolleyes:

ahhh... to be 17 and know everything again

Get back to me in 10 years and let me know how that worked out :wink:

Ba
At 19 I have no real regrets, my last three years were a lot of fun,doing everything, but then I decided I needed to go to college. It's not nearly so fun and now I look forward to summer, hiking, rockclimbing and such. And I'll be working as well. Teenage years or not, I just have fun. I don't see anything special about now or earlier. Life is Life.

matthyaouw
Gold Member
Gale17 said:
matthyaouw, i was kidding about all that, but seriously, i know people who are almost (i exaggerated a little) that way. I know a lot of people who're that serious about clothes and weight. Most of my friends for starters. I still kick myself for becoming friend with them when i was all depressed freshman year. I'm not that bad, really...
Thank God, I was a little worried. I'm no good with things like that unless [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags are present you see :)

JasonRox said:
By calling them that, you are so much better. :rolleyes:

Right....

Ok, whatever you say.

you were 15 and a junior?!?

anyway I'm currently a junior, and I don't claim to be an individual at all, but I'm just doing whats cool to me, I float around in all of the groups, except for the people i call NeoPreppy|people who where completely hollister(etc etc) head to toe, and dont play any sports but still think they'r tough as nails|

also I really dont see how you think all the groups in highschool dress the same...I mean the preps dont dress like the goths, nor the nerds, nor the overachievers, nor the bible lunatics | though i will agree the same drama with relationships is usualy the focal point of discussion, or testoserone(sp?) displays where someone just wants to look bad so they try and scare others.

I'm not positive, but I believe to have a somewhat unique standpoint, in the fact, I don't fully belong to one group or another, and that I employ CIA techniques of gaining information, so that I don't really have friends, they're more so a web of contacts.|but enough of that, I'm simply saying that I'm not really one-sided, though I will admit that the goths, freaks, and people who pretend theyre ice hearted, are usualy the most immature of the social groups - personaly I've found more acts of decency and comradary in the regular preps and athletes

Gale17 said:
ok new plan... what defined (or is currently defining) YOUR teenaged years?
This may be posted mid-conversation, but hey...
Teenage, and loving it; though defining my life at the moment is probably college, or school, I prefer college though, adds a certain prestige to the name...but yeah, it is that; and a constant need to perform well – I’m a college that is one of the best in the country, so surrounded by geniuses! And I do physics chemistry maths and history, so it’s not easy, but it’s all good. Though I do have days when I think what’s the point, and that I’m working my ass off, to get through these damned A-levels, to get to university, to sell myself to people who shall look down their nose at me. Only to complete university, to then have the adventure cough of finding and holding down a job, by this time is twenty-something, I’m then expected to work till, what is it 65 now (thanks Tony, we love you….), to retire and die.

From a positive,

-Padford

oh, by the way, the teenage girls thing worked!

ShawnD
Science Advisor
0-17 were horrible years for me. The more I forget them, the more mentally stable and outgoing I become.

From age 0-17 you get treated like a useless retard because everybody is used to dealing with the lowest type of person your age. Your teachers think you're an idiot, stores have policies about a maximum number of kids because they think you're going to steal things, your signature has no value at all, you're not allowed in bars, you can't rent a car, you can't apply for a credit card or loan, you can't have investments or real estate in your name, and some people will even try to dictate whether or not you can have sex. Jesus, is it any wonder kids are so emo these days?

I turned 18 at the very beginning of my first year of college, and everything changed. Suddenly people said Mr. before saying my last name; using my last name was no longer a sign of disrespect. When filling out bank or school forms, my signature actually had meaning to it. Sometimes there are credit card people from banks at the school offering students credit cards with low interest rates. I know it doens't make me special or anything, but it's still nice to know they trust me and my fellow students enough to offer us a card that lets us borrow money from an actual bank. Alcohol is no longer such a big deal because my college has a bar connected to the corridor adjacent to the corridor my locker is in, and students from my college get 5 free drinks at one of the trendy bars downtown on thursdays.
I'm currently 19, and life is just getting started. I have a feeling my 20s will be a blast.

Sorry I'm a little blunt here, but there's no such thing as individuals. The more you deal with government and companies, the quicker you learn that you're nothing more than a number; just like everybody else.

ShawnD said:
Sorry I'm a little blunt here, but there's no such thing as individuals. The more you deal with government and companies, the quicker you learn that you're nothing more than a number; just like everybody else.
A walking social security number :uhh: :tongue:

futb0l
Mwahhah, good to be only 16.

i like my social security number :) but i see what your saying, alot of the colleges are doing those commercials were its like, "im not a number" or "we dont treat our students as numbers" so on and so forth

Well, being a teen, the best thing so far i have as material is my social security number :D

I feel now that i "sweat" to get my money, and my parents back home tell me : You, we know you need money, give us your bank account. and me saying: Nope, my arm makes me survivin. That is POWER, witohut exaggeration :biggrin:

Still, being crazy and planning the big stpet for my life for the next 25 years, this teens period is exciting, the next period will be as well "I guess gettin married in 20's is amazing, if not i wonder why ppl get married :biggrin: " this is chains, and every ring in the chain, is ring like the others, but still called "another" not "exact" ring...

Hopefully i was not disastorus poetic bomb in the last couple of lines...

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Moonbear said:
Hmm, being a teenager, that's when you still know everything and aren't afraid to inform everyone else of that. :biggrin:
Along those lines, my teenage daughter informed me Friday night, "Dad, you're a guy. You just don't get it."

To which I responded -

Well yes, I do. I know I am a guy. And yes I do get it. :biggrin:

saltydog
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Astronuc said:
Along those lines, my teenage daughter informed me Friday night, "Dad, you're a guy. You just don't get it."

To which I responded -

Good for you Astronuc. You can agree with me I hope that a daughter is the most precious thing a man can ever have in this world. Mine is very much a diamond in my eyes. My son . . . well, he ain't no jewel that's for sure but he's ok with that.

"the child is father to the man" (woman, girl, same dif)

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Astronuc said:

To which I responded -

Did that get you a long, drawn out, "Daaaa-aaaaad!" as a response? :rofl:

Looking at this thread title reminded me of the ambiguous spam term ("teenage girls") that titillates adult men (un)consciously into sexualizing underage females. Girls must be reminded that they have the responsibility to practice, into majority, a sexuality of mutual respect with their adult male counterparts. Adult males also need to practice propriety when looking at, communicating with and controlling their urges concerning minor females. For instance, who hasn't seen a gang of guys gawking, and heard their lewd comments, toward an attractive "teenage" girl?

Sex education needs to remind such social aspects which can lead to potentially deadly STD's, pregnancy, personality disorders, personal degradation and even suicide. Education must starts before physical maturation, and family must protect beyond teenage. "Teenage," as concerns developing sexual responsibility, nowadays extends into the mid-twenties.