Teenage Suicide Bomber Sought Paradise and 72 Virgins

1. The teenage suicide bomber, caught by Israeli soldiers at a West Bank checkpoint, said he wanted to reach paradise where 72 virgins were waiting for him.

Hussam Abdo, 16, told the Israeli newspaper Yediot Ahronot, he had learned about paradise in school.

“A river of honey, a river of wine and 72 virgins. Since I have been studying Koran I know about the sweet life that waits there,” he said.

Source: http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2696114

2. jcsd
  3. 72 virgins?..too bad it didn't specify whether It's 72 female or male virgins waiting for him. Hell must really suck for him now

4. Right...I'm thinking that the problem here is not getting your 72 virgins - that, I think, is fine BUT the worrying thing is that people are being guided away from their faith because of this?

How?

it seems that material well-being no matter what the type is - is more important than spirituality. Ain't spirituality the basic be-all-and-end-all of all religions?

Or is religion just failing like humanity...

5. I saw another news report earlier today that said the whole thing was crap, a stunt by the IDF to paint Palestinians in a bad light.

6. Even the boy's parents confirm the story so this conspiracy theory doesn't really fly, Adam.

7. Njorl

Njorl 875
    Science Advisor

72 virgins? I'd want a few with a little experience.

Njorl

8. it never ceases to amaze me how a repressive regime (gov't or religion) can prohibit the exposure of 'skin' cause it leads to bad thoughts. Will then promise the repressed with the reward in heaven than he can't have while alive. now that's good psychological manipulation.

I wonder which religious leaders do this?

peace,

9. These suicide bombers have no game, they're that desperate to get laid. Even Bin laden who lived in a cave had ten wives.

10. Njorl

Njorl 875
    Science Advisor

Perhaps the key to revolution is to keep young men horny and frustrated.

Njorl

11. I have a theory that younger men are more violent than adults, not because they are less mature, but because they are hornier, and thus angrier.

12. enigma

enigma 1,815
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did anyone see Bill Maher last week? He had a whole rant made up about this...

"Women of the world, there is a cure for terrorism... and you're sitting on it!"

"We need to send in an army of skanks, a brigade of ho's," etc...

Had me laughing for a while

13. jimmy p

jimmy p 578
    Gold Member

oh the young men ARE angry! They are angry that old gits like Bin Laden have 10 women while they only have their over-active imaginations.

14. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Just because they are virgins doesn't mean they are attractive :rolleyes:

15. Janitor

Janitor 1,189
    Science Advisor

Is Britney Spears still a virgin?

16. chroot

chroot 10,426
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Virgins totally suck in bed. Sheesh. Who'd want that "heaven?" I'm with Njorl.

- Warren

17. ShawnD

ShawnD 986
    Science Advisor

Which is exactly why they're virgins.

18. jimmy p

jimmy p 578
    Gold Member

hahaha good point Shawn. Maybe ugliness is attractive to these people. Wait, does that work?

19. ShawnD

ShawnD 986
    Science Advisor

One thing we are forgetting is that women over there cover themselves completely. You can't tell who is a little thick and who is in perfect supermodel condition. You can't even tell a pretty face from an ugly face!

20. enigma

enigma 1,815
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not only that, but girls and boys are completely segregated. You don't even get to talk to a woman unless you're married to her, and you can't marry her unless you can support a family. IIRC, unemployment is over 40% in many/most Middle Eastern countries.

21. ShawnD

ShawnD 986
    Science Advisor

So that means 40% of men don't get to talk to women or see women at all? No wonder they're so willing to kill themselves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?