Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teens Survive Six Days Afloat Eating Jellyfish

1. May 4, 2005 #1
    Ever-vigilant PF member, Math is Hard recently alerted me to this news story, which combines two of my favorite subjects, jellyfish, and survival at sea.

"Two teenagers survived six days at sea on jelly fish and seaweed after their small sailing boat was swept out.
    The pair, aged 15 and 17, also said prayers to help bring them through the ordeal off Cape Fear.
    They were picked up by fishermen more than 100 miles from where they had set off in South Carolina after being spotted clinging to the side of the boat.
    The boys quenched their thirst with sea water and slipped into the ocean to cool off, but sharks chased them back onto the boat. At night, they used a single wet suit to keep warm..."

Telegraph | News | Teens survive six days afloat eating jellyfish
    Address:http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/05/02/usea.xml

After having discovered that jellyfish salads are occasionally eaten in some asian countries, I found out that there is a restaurant here that serves it if you call ahead wth a request. But because I've seen them close up on the beach and touched them, I really can't imagine eating them unless I were in the position these teenagers were in.

(When I wrote back to Math Is Hard, thanking her for the link, I commented that it sounded like these kids had really been through a harrowing ordeal, and they were extremely lucky to have been rescued. She replied: "Harrowing experience for the kids??!?! Imagine what it was like for the jellyfish!!!!")

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2

SOS2008

Gold Member

What a combination of favorite topics--jellyfish and survival at sea! And MIH says I'm the one who always finds gems on the internet? If it's any consolation, when I first saw your post, in a rather loud voice I said:

"Eeeeooow, oh, ugh, no!" :eek:

4. May 4, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if they ate the purple ones? They are probably much tastier than the clear kind.

5. May 4, 2005 #4
    So do jellyfish taste good? I would imagine they taste kind of like cold rubbery raw peppers, only softer.

6. May 4, 2005 #5

SOS2008

Gold Member

"Eeeeooow, oh, ugh, no!" :eek:

Okay, I like calamari and octopus, so it shouldn't seem so gross to me, but it just is. Some are deadly too!

7. May 4, 2005 #6
    I recall from one article that only the younger boy ate jellyfish, and that he did not eat very much. Digesting food takes water, and dehydration will kill a person a lot faster than starvation.

From that perspective, perhaps it was lucky for them that they lost their fishing tackle. I suspect that they would not have made it if they had been eating much of anything.

8. May 4, 2005 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He wouldn't share his jellyfish?
    How incredibly sellyfish! :mad:

9. May 4, 2005 #8

SOS2008

Gold Member

Now you've got me really freaked out. I thought maybe the boys were getting moisture from the jellyfish. If they drank much salt water for very long, that seemed to be more of a danger. Great, I wouldn't survive a day?!

10. May 4, 2005 #9
    I've had sea anemone before, it was... interesting. Never jelly fish though.

11. May 4, 2005 #10
    Having personally poked, prodded, and palpated a deceased specimen I can tell you that they are something like slightly runny jello held together by a more durable skin. The texture issues would be just about insurmountable in eating considerations.

12. May 4, 2005 #11
    I knew a U.S. Marine that ate a piece of a dead jellyfish on the beach once. Ofcourse he became very sick and needed medical attention. Then there was a bunch of marines that thought it would be a good idea to overturn one of those European midget cars in Naples, Italy.

Do jellyfish come with a nutritional label? Yup, they do...
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s05xz.html
    Not very nutritious. Very salty

13. May 4, 2005 #12
    Most kitties are quite sellyfish
    When eating an old smellyfish.

But you would think a brother
    Would share some with the other!

14. May 4, 2005 #13
    I have also poked and prodded jellyfish but I still think they would taste like cold, rubbery, raw peppers. By "softer" I did mean a lot softer.

15. May 4, 2005 #14
    Ironically, you have accidently uttered the zoobie words for "Waiter! More invertebrate!"

16. May 4, 2005 #15
  17. May 4, 2005 #16
    Isn't ash fiber?

18. May 4, 2005 #17
    You mean big green bell peppers? What color are your jellyfish? Mine are clear with weird, purple stripes.

19. May 4, 2005 #18
    Yes, green or red bell peppers. I think the only jellyfish I've seen dead on the sand were purplish red.

20. May 4, 2005 #19
    I don't think so because right beneath ash Huckleberry's list says: 0 grams dietary fiber per 100 grams (of jellyfish).

21. May 4, 2005 #20
    Ash is The mineral residue of incinerated organic matter, used as an additive in pet foods.
    -Dictionary.com

So what is it made of?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?