Can a Telecommunications Graduate Pursue a MS in Aerospace Engineering?

• Thread starter chance108
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary, it is possible for someone with a Bachelors Degree in telecommunications to pursue a MS in aerospace engineering. It is important to research the specific admissions requirements for each university and aim for a strong GRE and TOEFL score. The Physics subject test can also be beneficial, but is not required for all universities. Ultimately, having a strong academic background and a passion for the field will increase your chances of getting into an aerospace program.
chance108
Hi Folks,

I have completed a Bachelors Degree in telecommunications (VTU). I wish to pursue my interest in the field of aerospace. Can I do a MS in aerospace engineering ? What are my chances of getting into an aerospace program?
I understand that I will have to give GRE and TOEFEL. What would be a good score for me to get into MS aerospace in universities like GATECH? Should I also give the PHYSICS subject test for GRE? Would that help present my resume better?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know. You'll have to check the admissions sites / call the admissions offices for each individual school you are looking at. All will require your TOEFEL, most/all will require the GRE, some would prefer any subject tests as well.

The biggest thing, though, is that many/most engineering graduate programs require undergraduate degrees in engineering, math, or other hard sciences. This does not exclude you, but you will have to do a great deal of research into the schools.

I'd be inclined to say that GA Tech would not admit someone with a BS in telecomm. but I don't know. Talk to admissions, and if your scores are high enough, or if they offer you an interview with admissions/program personnel and you do well, they may well let you in. There are generally exceptions to schools' admission requirements.

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on completing your Bachelors Degree in telecommunications! That's a great accomplishment.

To answer your question, yes, it is possible for you to pursue a MS in aerospace engineering even though your undergraduate degree is in telecommunications. Many universities value diversity in their student body and having a different background can actually work in your favor.

As for your chances of getting into an aerospace program, it ultimately depends on the specific university and their admissions criteria. However, having a strong academic background and a passion for the field will definitely increase your chances.

In terms of GRE and TOEFL scores, it's always a good idea to aim for a high score to make your application stand out. As for the Physics subject test, it can definitely help strengthen your application and showcase your knowledge in the field. However, it is not a requirement for all universities, so make sure to check the specific requirements for the universities you are interested in.

Best of luck with your application process! Don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions.

1. What is the main difference between telecommunication and aerospace?

The main difference between telecommunication and aerospace is that telecommunication refers to the transmission of information over a distance, while aerospace refers to the science and technology of flight and space travel.

2. How does telecommunication technology play a role in the aerospace industry?

Telecommunication technology plays a crucial role in the aerospace industry by providing communication and navigation systems for aircraft and spacecraft. It also enables the transmission of data and images from space back to Earth.

3. What are some examples of telecommunication technology used in aerospace?

Some examples of telecommunication technology used in aerospace include satellite communication systems, GPS navigation systems, and radio frequency communication systems.

4. How has telecommunication technology advanced the aerospace industry?

Telecommunication technology has greatly advanced the aerospace industry by improving communication and navigation capabilities, increasing the efficiency and safety of air travel, and allowing for the exploration and study of space.

5. Is there any overlap between telecommunication and aerospace industries?

Yes, there is a significant overlap between telecommunication and aerospace industries. Many telecommunication companies also provide services for the aerospace industry, and advancements in telecommunication technology have greatly benefited the aerospace industry.