Telecommunications terminology

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of transmission lines in transmitting AC signals and the significance of reactance in this process. The symbols ωL and ωC represent the reactance of inductors and capacitors, respectively. The ω symbol represents the angular frequency used in telecommunications, which is typically higher than the frequency used in power lines. The reactance of L and C is important in compensating for parasitic capacitance in power lines. Nowadays, fiber optic cables are used in power lines to lease bandwidth to telecommunications operators.
fran1942
Hello, I have just started reading some telecommunications basic concepts. I have a question regarding the following phrase:

"when considering that transmission lines are used in transmitting AC signals:
R << ωL
G << ωC
In high frequency applications the R is so much smaller than the xL that R can be ignored.
The G is so much smaller than xC that G can be ignored..."

Can someone please tell me what the ωL and ωC terms mean ?
What significance/meaning does the ω symbol have ?

Thanks kindly for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
fran1942 said:
Hello, I have just started reading some telecommunications basic concepts. I have a question regarding the following phrase:

"when considering that transmission lines are used in transmitting AC signals:
R << ωL
G << ωC
In high frequency applications the R is so much smaller than the xL that R can be ignored.
The G is so much smaller than xC that G can be ignored..."

Can someone please tell me what the ωL and ωC terms mean ?
What significance/meaning does the ω symbol have ?

Thanks kindly for any help.

reactance of inductor [itex]X_L= j\omega L\;[/itex] and reactance of capacitor is[itex] X_c=\frac 1 {j\omega C} \;\Rightarrow\; B_c= j\omega C\;\hbox { B is the subceptance.}[/itex]

In Complex representation, impedance [itex]Z= R + jX[/itex] where X is the reactance. That where the two terms come in. If R <<ωL then Z=R+jωL≈jωL. Same as the other.

Last edited:
Mr. Yungman explained it pretty well. But just to add:

omega(ω) is your angular frequency. If you are in Europe, power lines are transmitting power at 50 Hz, in America, that is 60 Hz.
But in telecommunications, this frequency goes higher. There was a method where you can send telecommunications signals through power lines! Those signals were at 800Hz or so, so they traveled down the power lines quite nicely. At the point where the receiver was, it was simply filtered out by a inductor.

But as far as the physical explanation goes of ωL and 1/ωC, ωL is your reactance of L of your transmission line, as all wires have that.

1/ωC is your reactance of C of your transmission lines. You see, when you send some HF signals through power lines, you get this parasitic capacity(as I imagine it) with ground, and that can be a problem, especially in power lines, where you need to compensate for that because it can give a major voltage drop.

Last edited:
ωL and 1/ωC are reactance of L and C.

yungman said:
ωL and 1/ωC are reactance of L and C.

Yes, sorry. Edited.

There was a method where you can send telecommunications signals through power lines!

nowadays the electric companies run a fiber optic cable down the center of their power conductor and lease bandwidth to telcom operators...

Bassalisk said:
Yes, sorry. Edited.

I read back my original post, it's way too short to give good explanation. It's so short I can't even say it's "short and sweet"!:rofl:

yungman said:
I read back my original post, it's way too short to give good explanation. It's so short I can't even say it's "short and sweet"!:rofl:

I think I understood what you were aiming at. I am too green to know all terminologies correctly:D

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between analog and digital telecommunications?

Analog telecommunications involves the transfer of information in the form of continuous waves, while digital telecommunications converts information into binary code (0s and 1s) for transmission. Digital telecommunications offers better quality and reliability, but analog is still used in some systems due to its lower cost.

2. What is the role of a modem in telecommunications?

A modem is a device that modulates and demodulates signals to allow for the transmission and reception of data over telecommunications networks. It is essential for converting digital signals into analog signals for transmission over telephone lines, and vice versa.

3. What is a bandwidth in telecommunications?

Bandwidth refers to the range of frequencies that can be transmitted over a telecommunications channel. It is typically measured in hertz (Hz) and determines the amount of data that can be transmitted in a given amount of time. The higher the bandwidth, the faster the data transfer rate.

4. What is the difference between a cellular and a landline phone?

A cellular phone uses wireless technology to connect to a network of cell towers, while a landline phone uses physical wires to connect to a telephone exchange. Cellular phones offer more mobility, while landline phones are typically more reliable and have better call quality.

5. What is VoIP and how does it work?

VoIP stands for Voice over Internet Protocol and is a technology that allows for voice communication over the internet. It works by converting analog voice signals into digital data packets, which are then transmitted over the internet. It is a cost-effective alternative to traditional phone systems and offers additional features such as video conferencing and call forwarding.