Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Telekinesis Not really

1. Mar 19, 2008 #1
    Physics Lab Experiment, Trick photography or static movement. or your theory?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Cool video, but there are definite editing marks. There's hickups at 2:52 (when he starts it) and 3:33 (when it begins to slow down). The hickups only affect the table and what's on it (it shifts slightly to one side then the other) - he stays still. It is easy enough to spin the piece of paper, put the bowl on top, then cut together the pieces of film.

Not a bad edit job, but definitely fake.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  4. Mar 19, 2008 #3

Nice catch Russ, Your good. I looked at it 7 times before I saw the hickup. Do you know how it's done with out the edit?

5. Mar 19, 2008 #4

russ_watters

I'm not following - it isn't done without the edit.

6. Mar 19, 2008 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I see the hiccup - at least the 2:52 one - but what it looked like to me was camera shake.

My first hypothesis - I thought I was so clever - was paper impregnanted with a ferrous precipitate but he ruled that one out.

My second hypothesis is that he's spinning the room. This would explain the camera shake. It might have worked before I saw how fast the thing spun.

7. Mar 19, 2008 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How does he move the bowl and replace it with perfect precision?

8. Mar 19, 2008 #7
    Couldn't you use some very very thin string (like magicians) and wrap two pieces around the center cap thing its sitting on or the toothpick, one CW, one CCW. Then with his left hand, off camera, he barely has to pull on it to start it spinning. You can't tell that the stem is sitting still because it's clear. The string is thin enough that it wouldn't let air in, and slick enough to not move the bowl.
    Just a guess, probably wrong. But you'd barely have to move your hand if the "witches hair?" was wrapped around the toothpick, probably like 3mm = 1 rotation.

9. Mar 20, 2008 #8

russ_watters

The camera is on a tripod and only the table shakes - the person doesn't shake. If the camera shook, you'd see the whole image shake.

[edit] Looking at it again, it looks like everything in the frame below his hands has that little glitch.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  10. Mar 20, 2008 #9

russ_watters

It isn't perfect. That's why you can see the edits.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  11. Mar 20, 2008 #10

russ_watters

Looking at it more, there are lots of skips and glitches. There are glitches at 2:53, 2:57, 3:09, 3:14, 3:32, 3:34, 3:55.....

As one commenter pointed out, it would be more convincing if he got someone to shoot it handheld, which would make editing a lot more difficult.

12. Mar 20, 2008 #11

russ_watters

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?