Telekinesis Not Physics: Trick Photography or Static Movement?

• Thread starter JJbrigham
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a viral video of a physics experiment that appears to show a piece of paper and a bowl moving in a static position. However, upon closer examination, it is revealed that the video has been edited to create the illusion. The group also discusses possible ways the trick could have been done without editing, but it is ultimately revealed to be a hoax.
JJbrigham
Physics Lab Experiment, Trick photography or static movement. or your theory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool video, but there are definite editing marks. There's hickups at 2:52 (when he starts it) and 3:33 (when it begins to slow down). The hickups only affect the table and what's on it (it shifts slightly to one side then the other) - he stays still. It is easy enough to spin the piece of paper, put the bowl on top, then cut together the pieces of film.

Not a bad edit job, but definitely fake.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Cool video, but there are definite editing marks. There's hickups at 2:52 (when he starts it) and 3:33 (when it begins to slow down). The hickups only affect the table and what's on it (it shifts slightly to one side then the other) - he stays still. It is easy enough to spin the piece of paper, put the bowl on top, then cut together the pieces of film.

Not a bad edit job, but definitely fake.

Nice catch Russ, Your good. I looked at it 7 times before I saw the hickup. Do you know how it's done without the edit?

I'm not following - it isn't done without the edit.

I see the hiccup - at least the 2:52 one - but what it looked like to me was camera shake.

My first hypothesis - I thought I was so clever - was paper impregnanted with a ferrous precipitate but he ruled that one out.

My second hypothesis is that he's spinning the room. This would explain the camera shake. It might have worked before I saw how fast the thing spun.

russ_watters said:
It is easy enough to spin the piece of paper, put the bowl on top, then cut together the pieces of film.
How does he move the bowl and replace it with perfect precision?

Couldn't you use some very very thin string (like magicians) and wrap two pieces around the center cap thing its sitting on or the toothpick, one CW, one CCW. Then with his left hand, off camera, he barely has to pull on it to start it spinning. You can't tell that the stem is sitting still because it's clear. The string is thin enough that it wouldn't let air in, and slick enough to not move the bowl.
Just a guess, probably wrong. But you'd barely have to move your hand if the "witches hair?" was wrapped around the toothpick, probably like 3mm = 1 rotation.

DaveC426913 said:
I see the hiccup - at least the 2:52 one - but what it looked like to me was camera shake.
The camera is on a tripod and only the table shakes - the person doesn't shake. If the camera shook, you'd see the whole image shake.

[edit] Looking at it again, it looks like everything in the frame below his hands has that little glitch.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
How does he move the bowl and replace it with perfect precision?
It isn't perfect. That's why you can see the edits.

Last edited:
Looking at it more, there are lots of skips and glitches. There are glitches at 2:53, 2:57, 3:09, 3:14, 3:32, 3:34, 3:55...

As one commenter pointed out, it would be more convincing if he got someone to shoot it handheld, which would make editing a lot more difficult.

1. What exactly is "Telekinesis Not Physics"?

"Telekinesis Not Physics" is a term used to describe the idea of being able to move objects using only the power of the mind, without any physical force or scientific explanation. It is often associated with trick photography or illusions rather than actual supernatural abilities.

2. Is telekinesis a real phenomenon?

There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of telekinesis as a supernatural ability. While some people may claim to have the ability to move objects with their mind, it is likely a result of trickery or illusions rather than true telekinesis. The laws of physics do not support the idea of telekinesis.

3. Can telekinesis be explained by physics?

No, telekinesis cannot be explained by physics. The laws of physics state that for an object to move, there must be a force acting upon it. In telekinesis, there is no physical force acting upon the object, so it cannot be explained by physics.

4. How is telekinesis different from static movement?

Static movement refers to the ability to move objects using physical force, such as pushing or pulling. Telekinesis, on the other hand, supposedly involves moving objects using only the power of the mind without any physical contact. However, both telekinesis and static movement have not been scientifically proven to be real phenomena.

5. Are there any scientific studies on telekinesis?

There have been numerous scientific studies and experiments conducted to test the existence of telekinesis, but none have been able to provide conclusive evidence. In most cases, the results can be explained by trickery or the power of suggestion rather than actual telekinetic abilities. Therefore, telekinesis is not a scientifically recognized phenomenon.