How can I receive security codes overseas without a traditional phone number?

• Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think there's anything special about Verizon for this. That said, it seems annoyingly expensive for your use case.
Hornbein
I'm a US citizen who lives overseas. I hardly ever call anyone on the telephone so I never had any use for a hand phone. At long last I am compelled to buy one in order to receive security codes. However this is not so simple.

I bought an Android telephone and a Skype number through which anyone can send me text messages. In order to download Skype I must have a telephone number that Google considers suitable for sending a security code. But Google won't send security codes to a Skype number.

So...now what? I need to get a permanent phone number to which Google will send security codes overseas. Should I get a contract with a USA cell phone company? Which one? Will I be able to receive texts while overseas? They should be few and far between, so expensive is OK. What should I do?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have Verizon, and when I went overseas I could avoid international surcharges by just turning off the mobile data on my phone, and only letting it connect to wifi. Your phone can receive/send text messages and phone calls over wifi even if you don't have local cell service. I don't think there's anything special about Verizon for this. That said, it seems annoyingly expensive for your use case.

Looking on Google, there's some stuff like
https://smsreceivefree.com/
Or
https://www.textnow.com/

I have no idea if these are actually safe/reliable though, just pointing out there are places that claim to offer the service you want.

Office_Shredder said:
Looking on Google, there's some stuff like
https://smsreceivefree.com/
Or
https://www.textnow.com/
I feel certain that if Google won't accept a Skype number for verification purposes then it also won't accept such services.

I was surprised Google wouldn't accept the Skype number. It's connected to a credit card so I'm identified.

1. How can I receive security codes overseas without a traditional phone number?

The best way to receive security codes overseas without a traditional phone number is to use a virtual phone number service. These services provide you with a temporary phone number that can be used to receive calls and text messages, including security codes.

2. Is a virtual phone number secure for receiving security codes overseas?

Yes, virtual phone numbers are secure for receiving security codes overseas. They use encryption and other security measures to protect your information and ensure that only you have access to the codes sent to your number.

3. Can I use a social media account to receive security codes overseas instead of a traditional phone number?

Yes, some social media platforms offer the option to receive security codes via email or through their app instead of a traditional phone number. However, this may not be available for all platforms and may not be as secure as using a virtual phone number.

4. Are there any alternatives to using a virtual phone number for receiving security codes overseas?

Yes, you can also use a physical SIM card from a local carrier in the country you are visiting. This will provide you with a local phone number that can be used to receive security codes. However, this may be more expensive and less convenient than using a virtual phone number.

5. Can I use my existing phone number to receive security codes overseas?

In most cases, your existing phone number will not work for receiving security codes overseas. This is because international phone numbers often have different formats and may not be recognized by the system sending the security codes. It is best to use a virtual phone number or local SIM card for this purpose.