How do Telephone Loading Coils Improve High-Frequency Transmission?

• Thread starter garytse86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coils
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of loading coils to improve high-frequency transmission in telephone lines. However, it is mentioned that these coils actually had the opposite effect and were eventually removed in the 1940s. The purpose of the loading coils was to lower distortion, which was determined by Sir Oliver Heaviside in the 19th century. The conversation also mentions a reference material on the topic and speculates on what exactly a telephone loading coil is.
garytse86
how do they improve high-frequency transmission (and not low-frequency?) ?

I'm a biologist...

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have a Robert Chipman book on transmission lines that mentioned this issue. As I recall, the loading coils did not improve high frequency transmission, but rather, just the opposite. The loading coils were removed for that reason.

I'll check my reference when I get home tonight, but I seem to remember that the reason for adding the loading coils was to lower distortion. Sir Oliver Heaviside determined in the 19th century that distortionles transmission takes place when R/L = G/C, where R, L, G, & C are the transmission line series resistance, inductance, shunt conductance, & capacitance per unit length resp.

The loading coils make it easy to optimize the ratio to get low distortion. They were added around 1925. But they acted as a low pass filter, attenuating hf response. They were removed around 1940. From memory, that is what I recall. At home I'll check the reference material and post a correction if needed. BR.

Claude

What's a telephone loading coil?

thanks cabraham.

berkeman, it beats me - this is why I asked :S

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_coil

Used to improve the transmission line for speech.

Apparently.

I wonder if they were those little bobbin things I used to see in telephone lines in my dim & distant youth... I always wondered what they were for...

What are telephone loading coils?

Telephone loading coils are small devices that are used to improve the transmission of telephone signals over long distances. They are typically made of copper wire wound around a magnetic core, and are placed at regular intervals along telephone lines to compensate for signal loss.

What is the purpose of telephone loading coils?

The main purpose of telephone loading coils is to reduce transmission line losses, which occur when a signal travels long distances. These losses can distort and weaken the signal, resulting in poor call quality. Loading coils help to maintain the strength and clarity of the signal, allowing for better communication over long distances.

How do telephone loading coils work?

Telephone loading coils work by inductance, which is the ability of a coil to store energy and create a magnetic field. When a signal travels through a telephone line, it encounters resistance, which causes the signal to weaken. The loading coil acts as a booster, adding inductance to the line and helping to counteract the signal loss.

What are the benefits of using telephone loading coils?

The use of telephone loading coils has several benefits, including improved call quality over long distances, increased transmission speeds, and reduced cost of laying new telephone lines. Loading coils also help to reduce crosstalk, which is when signals from different lines interfere with each other, resulting in clearer communication.

Are there any disadvantages to using telephone loading coils?

While telephone loading coils have many benefits, they can also have some drawbacks. Loading coils can introduce distortion to the signal, which can affect the quality of the call. Additionally, loading coils can only be used on analog telephone lines, so they are not compatible with digital or VoIP systems.