How to stop annoying out of area telemarketing calls.

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for dealing with solicitors and automatic dialers. The speaker shares a humorous encounter with a solicitor and asks for suggestions on how to handle automatic dialers with no caller ID.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How to leave a solicitation person speechless.

The folks from OSU called yesterday asking for our yearly or semi-yearly donation. Normally I send some money for the SPS and/or the physics department, so when they call, they know by our history that we will probably donate. But when they called yesterday, I responded by saying that we couldn't donate this year because all of our money [for contributions] is going to Obama. OH! That's great! oh... but couldn't you... do you think... [long pause]... Then she started her sales pitch from the start again, :rofl:

Computer science news on Phys.org
:rofl:

Any suggestions for the automatic dialers that show up as "out of area" on caller ID? I think it's the same one every day, and they leave a partial voicemail message every day. Since I don't have a name or number, I can't report them to the do not call registry people, and since it's an automatic dialer, there's no person I can tell to go shove it! :grumpy:

Moonbear said:
:rofl:

Any suggestions for the automatic dialers that show up as "out of area" on caller ID? I think it's the same one every day, and they leave a partial voicemail message every day. Since I don't have a name or number, I can't report them to the do not call registry people, and since it's an automatic dialer, there's no person I can tell to go shove it! :grumpy:

Maybe if you answer you can get a company name.

What are telephone solicitations?

Telephone solicitations are unsolicited phone calls made by businesses or organizations to individuals in order to promote products, services, or donations.

Are telephone solicitations legal?

In most countries, telephone solicitations are legal as long as they comply with regulations such as the National Do Not Call Registry in the United States. However, there are some countries that have banned or restricted telephone solicitation practices.

Why do I keep receiving telephone solicitations?

Telephone solicitations are often made by telemarketing companies that use automated systems to call a large number of people, including those who may not have given their consent to receive such calls. Some companies also purchase contact lists from third parties that include phone numbers.

How can I stop receiving telephone solicitations?

You can register your phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry in the United States to stop receiving telemarketing calls. You can also ask the caller to put you on their do not call list, or simply hang up and block the number. If you continue to receive unwanted calls, you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

What should I do if I receive a fraudulent telephone solicitation?

If you suspect that a telephone solicitation is fraudulent, do not give out any personal information or make any payments. You can report the call to the appropriate authorities, such as the Federal Trade Commission or your local consumer protection agency. You can also use call-blocking services to prevent similar calls in the future.