Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teleportion questions

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1
    So I just finished watching a video of the theatrical scientist, Michio Kaku, about teleportion. According to Kaku, scientists have teleported light in the past. Kaku believes in the distance future, humans will be able to teleport as well.

There's two questions I have about this:

1) When a human is dematerialized, will he or she be able to travel through solid objects like energy does?

2) What would happen if a human was shot while he or she was in a dematerialized form? When they rematerialize, would they have a bullet wound in them?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to watch the video again - carefully - what got teleported was a quantum state, not the physical object. These days the phenomina is called "entanglement".

Your questions suggest physical teleportation like Star Trek or Blake's 7. Teleportation at the level where it makes sense to talk about teleporting humans requires solving so many problems that the questions cannot be sensibly answered.

4. Jun 28, 2012 #3
    That is true.

I asked those questions from a theoretical point-of-view, to see what opinions people have on it. Since we are unable to teleport humans, at least at the moment, I don't think there's a wrong or right answer yet unless proven otherwise.

Obviously, you don't have to answer it. But everyone's theory is appreciated.

5. Jun 28, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Excuse me, I thought you were asking in the context of Kaku's suggestion ... since that does not appear to be the case, you should review the boards policies about speculation.

vis:

Generally, in the science discussion forums we do not allow the following:
    * Personal theories or speculations that go beyond or counter to generally-accepted science

... but I'll check.

6. Jun 28, 2012 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Simon is correct. This is not the place for wild speculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook