Teleportion Questions - Michio Kaku Answers

• Thread starter Reptile202
  • Start date
In summary, Michio Kaku believes that in the distant future, humans will be able to teleport, similar to how scientists have already teleported light. However, this type of teleportation involves quantum states and is not the physical teleportation seen in science fiction. Therefore, it is not possible to answer questions about traveling through solid objects or what would happen if a person was shot while in a dematerialized form. Speculation on these topics is not allowed in scientific discussions.
Reptile202
So I just finished watching a video of the theatrical scientist, Michio Kaku, about teleportion. According to Kaku, scientists have teleported light in the past. Kaku believes in the distance future, humans will be able to teleport as well.

There's two questions I have about this:

1) When a human is dematerialized, will he or she be able to travel through solid objects like energy does?

2) What would happen if a human was shot while he or she was in a dematerialized form? When they rematerialize, would they have a bullet wound in them?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to watch the video again - carefully - what got teleported was a quantum state, not the physical object. These days the phenomina is called "entanglement".

Your questions suggest physical teleportation like Star Trek or Blake's 7. Teleportation at the level where it makes sense to talk about teleporting humans requires solving so many problems that the questions cannot be sensibly answered.

Simon Bridge said:
You need to watch the video again - carefully - what got teleported was a quantum state, not the physical object. These days the phenomina is called "entanglement".

Your questions suggest physical teleportation like Star Trek or Blake's 7. Teleportation at the level where it makes sense to talk about teleporting humans requires solving so many problems that the questions cannot be sensibly answered.

That is true.

I asked those questions from a theoretical point-of-view, to see what opinions people have on it. Since we are unable to teleport humans, at least at the moment, I don't think there's a wrong or right answer yet unless proven otherwise.

Obviously, you don't have to answer it. But everyone's theory is appreciated.

Excuse me, I thought you were asking in the context of Kaku's suggestion ... since that does not appear to be the case, you should review the boards policies about speculation.

vis:

Generally, in the science discussion forums we do not allow the following:
* Personal theories or speculations that go beyond or counter to generally-accepted science

... but I'll check.

Simon is correct. This is not the place for wild speculation.

1. What is teleportion?

Teleportion is the hypothetical concept of transmitting matter or information from one location to another without physically moving it through space. It is often referred to as teleportation in popular culture.

2. Is teleportion possible?

At this time, teleportion is not possible with our current technology and understanding of physics. However, some scientists, including myself, believe that it may be possible in the distant future through advancements in quantum mechanics and technology.

3. How would teleportion work?

The most commonly proposed method for teleportion involves the use of quantum entanglement, where two particles become connected and can influence each other's state instantaneously, regardless of distance. By entangling the particles at the source and destination, information about the original object can be transmitted and reconstructed at the destination, effectively "teleporting" the object.

4. What are the potential applications of teleportion?

If teleportion were to become a reality, it could revolutionize the way we travel, transport goods, and communicate. It could also have significant implications in fields such as medicine and space exploration, allowing for the instantaneous transfer of resources and information.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding teleportion?

As with any new technology, there are potential ethical concerns surrounding teleportion. These may include issues of privacy, security, and the potential for misuse. It is important for scientists and society as a whole to consider these implications and address them responsibly as the technology develops.