Non-Magnifying Telescope Lenses: Components & Effects

In summary, the components of a telescope typically include two convex lenses, with a refracting scope using only one mirror and one convex lens. Adding an extra lens can potentially eliminate the magnifying effect, such as using a concave lens in line with the other lenses. However, this may result in drawbacks such as chromatic aberration and coma. Multiple lensed eyepieces are often used in order to correct for these issues and produce visually impressive images. Additionally, they are more economical and efficient compared to complex shapes.
mufan
The components of a telescope are essentially two convex lenses? Out of curiosity (boredom) I am trying to figure out if the addition of another lens could make the image non-magnified.

For instance, what type of lens/other would you add in order to make the image look as if you were looking through a paper towel cardboard tube. In other words, what type of lens would cancel out the magnifying effect of a telescope if it were put in line with the other lenses?

It's how my mind works...I can't help it!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
mufan said:
The components of a telescope are essentially two convex lenses?
Only a refracting scope.

A reflector uses one mirror and one convex lens.

I assume you mean the eyepiece, Dave.

Chronos said:
I assume you mean the eyepiece, Dave.
Well, I wasn't being specific but yes, it is the eyepiece.

Hi all,

By the way, I've got a small question relating the telescope. Can I use only one concave lens for the eyepiece?. Why do they have to use a stack of lenses instead of just one lens for eyepiece?

Thanks

pixel01 said:
Hi all,

By the way, I've got a small question relating the telescope. Can I use only one concave lens for the eyepiece?. Why do they have to use a stack of lenses instead of just one lens for eyepiece?

Thanks

You can use one concave lens as the eyepiece, Galileo did!

A typical Galilean telescope with which Jupiter's moons could be observed was configured as follows. It had a plano-convex objective (the lens toward the object) with a focal length of about 30-40 inches., and a plano-concave ocular with a focal length of about 2 inches. The ocular was in a little tube that could be adjusted for focusing.

Garth

Garth said:
You can use one concave lens as the eyepiece, Galileo did!

Garth

Thanks for your reply. The thing is why do they have to use some other lens stack but not only a concave as eyepiece like Galileo? There must be some drawbacks mustn't there? What are they?

pixel01 said:
Thanks for your reply. The thing is why do they have to use some other lens stack but not only a concave as eyepiece like Galileo? There must be some drawbacks mustn't there? What are they?
Some drawbacks with lenses include the fact that simple lenses do no bring all wavelengths to the same focus. This is called chromatic aberration. Reflectors usually feature a concave primary mirror, and a flat secondary mirror, and that secondary mirror aims the light to the eyepiece. In this basic design (Newtonian), there is no chromatic aberration aside from that induced by the lenses in the eyepiece, but it is very likely that off-axis images will suffer from coma, which is radial deformation. Apochromatic refractors can offer highly-corrected views with minimun chromatic aberration if they are designed with several objective lenses with a variety of curves and correspondingly tuned refractive indexes. Roland Christen is a master of this art as was Thomas Back (recently departed).

The mulitply lensed eyepieces, as noted by Turbo, correct for both chromatic aberation and, to a lesser extent, coma. They also narrow the light cone of the primary aperature to the size of the pupil of the human eye. The eyepiece is just as important as the primary aperature for visual observation. Plossl's, for example, require several individual simple lenses to produce their visually impressive images. Multiple lens are economical because simple correctors are much easier to produce than complex shapes. They are also very efficient, thanks to anti-reflective coatings, wasting only a tiny fraction of the light that passes through them.

What is a non-magnifying telescope lens?

A non-magnifying telescope lens is a type of lens used in telescopes that does not have any magnifying power. It is designed to gather and focus light, allowing the observer to see distant objects more clearly.

What are the main components of a non-magnifying telescope lens?

The main components of a non-magnifying telescope lens include the objective lens, which gathers and focuses light, and the eyepiece, which magnifies the image produced by the objective lens. The lens may also have additional elements such as filters and correctors to improve image quality.

How does a non-magnifying telescope lens affect the image produced?

A non-magnifying telescope lens affects the image produced by gathering and focusing light. It can also affect the image quality by reducing distortion and aberrations. The size and shape of the lens also play a role in determining the field of view and magnification of the telescope.

What are the different types of non-magnifying telescope lens?

There are several types of non-magnifying telescope lenses, including achromatic lenses, apochromatic lenses, and reflector lenses. Achromatic lenses use two elements to reduce chromatic aberration, apochromatic lenses use three elements for better color correction, and reflector lenses use mirrors instead of glass to gather and focus light.

How do I choose the right non-magnifying telescope lens for my needs?

Choosing the right non-magnifying telescope lens depends on your specific needs and budget. Factors to consider include the size and focal length of the lens, the type of telescope you have, and the type of objects you want to observe. It is also important to consider the quality and reputation of the manufacturer when choosing a lens.