Why is magnification defined as the ratio of eye and objective lens resolution?

In summary, the magnification of a telescope is the ratio of the resolution power of the eye divided by the resolution power of the objective lens. This definition is based on the concept of focal lengths, which is not clearly defined in the text unless you also state how you define resolving power. The magnification of a telescope is not a clearly defined concept, and the text makes no sense in terms of resolving power of the two components.
Marketo
The telescope magnification is given by the measure of the resolution power of the eye divided by the resolution power of the objetive lens. I just want to know why a magnification can be defined as the ratio of these two kinds of resolution, I need a justification of this statement.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
xts said:
Where have you found such definition of magnification?
I would also like to see its justification :grumpy:

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnification

Please check The physics book of Marcelo Alonso and Edward J. Finn in the chapter of geometry of waves when talking about telescope

Marketo said:
Please check The physics book of Marcelo Alonso and Edward J. Finn in the chapter of geometry of waves when talking about telescope
Ouch - you are sending me to a library having English science textbooks (it had not been translated to my language, so I won't get it in my local library)... Not this week...

Marketo said:
The telescope magnification is given by the measure of the resolution power of the eye divided by the resolution power of the objetive lens. I just want to know why a magnification can be defined as the ratio of these two kinds of resolution, I need a justification of this statement.

It is not defined this way, it is defined as the ratio of focal lengths of the telescope and the eyepiece. Resolving power is not a clearly defined concept unless you also state how you define resolving power, and in any case it makes no sense in this context. Either you misunderstood the text and did not look into it any farther, or the text is making some kind of analogy or stating how (I don't know how) the precisely defined number "magnification" can be stood in terms of resolving power of the two components. I also presume you meant "eyepiece" when your wrote "eye".

1. How does telescope magnification work?

Telescope magnification refers to the ability of a telescope to make objects appear larger than they actually are. This is achieved by using lenses or mirrors to focus light and increase the apparent size of the object.

2. What is the formula for calculating telescope magnification?

The formula for calculating telescope magnification is: magnification = focal length of telescope / focal length of eyepiece. This means that the magnification is directly proportional to the focal length of the telescope and inversely proportional to the focal length of the eyepiece.

3. Is higher magnification always better?

No, higher magnification does not always result in better views through a telescope. Factors such as atmospheric conditions, the quality of the telescope and eyepiece, and the object being observed can all affect the perceived image. It is important to find a balance between magnification and image quality.

4. Can I change the magnification of a telescope?

Yes, the magnification of a telescope can be changed by using different eyepieces with varying focal lengths. Shorter focal length eyepieces will result in higher magnification, while longer focal lengths will result in lower magnification.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using high magnification?

Using high magnification can often result in a dimmer and more distorted image due to the increased amount of light that is being spread out. It also requires more precise tracking and stable atmospheric conditions for a clear view. Additionally, high magnification can make it more difficult to locate and track objects in the sky.