Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Telescope magnification

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    The telescope magnification is given by the measure of the resolution power of the eye divided by the resolution power of the objetive lens. I just want to know why a magnification can be defined as the ratio of these two kinds of resolution, I need a justification of this statement.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

xts

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3
    Please check The physics book of Marcelo Alonso and Edward J. Finn in the chapter of geometry of waves when talking about telescope

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4

xts

Ouch - you are sending me to a library having English science textbooks (it had not been translated to my language, so I won't get it in my local library)... Not this week...

6. Sep 28, 2011 #5
    It is not defined this way, it is defined as the ratio of focal lengths of the telescope and the eyepiece. Resolving power is not a clearly defined concept unless you also state how you define resolving power, and in any case it makes no sense in this context. Either you misunderstood the text and did not look into it any farther, or the text is making some kind of analogy or stating how (I don't know how) the precisely defined number "magnification" can be stood in terms of resolving power of the two components. I also presume you meant "eyepiece" when your wrote "eye".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook