Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Telescope photo of Vega

1. Oct 3, 2017 #21
    Hello, (pardon which location you mean..?)
    Anyway (you will laugh probably) -it is made just by mobile camera laying on eyepiece. but I have ordered eyepiece adapter for webcamera and hope that it will improve little bit. Do you have some nice pictures ?

2. Oct 3, 2017 #22

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have all been there whilst trying to achieve a lot with a little!
    Unfortunately, AP is very demanding and, unlike our eyeballs and brains, a photograph does not "eek out our imperfections". (Shakespear - The Tempest)

3. Oct 3, 2017 #23

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I give up !! :frown::frown: I'm outta here

@bruha I have asked 3 times for info on what gear you have
    so that I can start with helping you with good basic astrophotography, and I have been ignored

tis all very frustrating :frown::frown:

Dave

4. Oct 3, 2017 #24

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He said in post 21. So basic, I guess you missed it. Things may get better when the '"adapter" arrives.

5. Oct 3, 2017 #25

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume you are referring to my comment and his web cam comment ?

If so, no I didn't miss it .... no it's not likely to get better if he doesn't learn the basics first
    He didn't specifically answer the questions I asked

I want to get him to put aside the telescope and web cam as that too difficult to get up and running in a good way
    I would like him to get back to basics .... a standard camera and a tripod and start learning how to take star photos like my milky way photo of many posts back

He needs to learn the basics before getting into the more difficult use of a telescope etc

Many guys just use a camera, tripod and wide angle lens and produce beautiful nitetime star/land scapes like this one .......

wwsm.jpg

courtesy of my mate, Doug Ingram, NSW, Australia

Then once @bruha has got the knack of doing that then he may look at advancing further and see what can be done
    with the telescope and webcam

We all need to concentrate on getting him to learn to walk before he learns how to run and not confuse the issue
    with all the other things :smile:

So again, I need to know if he has any other normal camera gear ?
    what it is ?
    what lenses
    and if he has a tripod

Dave

6. Oct 10, 2017 #26
    Hello,
    I am very sorry, probably I missed some of your post. So in fact I have not any good camera, I have just huawei mobile camera (10 MPx) and recently I bought newtonian 130 mm. Now I got eyepiece adapter for webcamera, so I hope that I will made some improvement....

7. Oct 10, 2017 #27

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

These photos look like extreme closeups of the moon with extreme vignetting caused by using a cell phone against an eyepiece (but in focus!). See if you can fold down the rubber cup on the eyepiece or remove the phone case to get the cell phone closer to the eyepiece...or get a lower power one to get more in the pictures.

For your first try with such imaging, I recommend getting a cheap webcam and removing the lens and taking photos with no eyepiece (prime focus).

This was my very first astrophoto, taken with a 60mm K-Mart Special refractor (60x900mm) and a webcam:

saturn-11-5-04.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  8. Oct 10, 2017 #28

russ_watters

Relax, dave, the hobby is intimidating enough without getting aggressive help. Some people don't do well getting bombarded with questions and may just want to stumble along at their own pace/on their own path. And that's ok.
    That's fine that you started that way, but there is more than one path to astrophotograhy; he's on the one I started on, with a manual telescope and webcam. It actually isn't all that hard and is cheaper than the DSLR route. It isn't "advanced" - it's a beginner stage.

Your wide angle photos are great, but I've been doing astrophotography for 15 years and have yet to attempt such a photo. It just doesn't interest me as much as shooting through a telescope. And that's ok!

9. Oct 10, 2017 #29
    Hello,
    thank you for your advise...now I got webcam adpter as you reccomended , so I hope it will getting better, (taking such photo through mobile camera is really quite frustrating..) Your Saturn is really nice.. it looks as I can see through my telescope at lower magnification -I have 130 x 700 mm refractor

10. Oct 18, 2017 #30

11. Oct 18, 2017 #31

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

that's good :smile:
    when it's hooked up to your laptop, you should be able to see a live view and then it should be easy to get a good focus

indeed ... quite difficult to get reasonable results

OK :smile: .... what is it's make and model so I can have a look online at its specifications

Dave

12. Oct 18, 2017 #32
    Hello yes I can drive out of town to darker area..it is not a problem.
    Concerning my equipment now I have newton cca 700x 130 mm , webcam eyepce adapter ,(but it is needs for taking out.of home suitable notebook ...) and just mobile camera. it is all

13. Oct 18, 2017 #33
    And model of telescope I l send when will be home . I got eyepiece 20 12 and 4 mm and I bough additinaly 6mm as with 4mm I was not able to focuse properly..

14. Oct 31, 2017 #34
    Hello,
    yesterday I made some pics of moon by webcam scope adapter (attached) -I think one problem is moon movement (webcam imaging has just one magnification) and not so good resolution of webcam viewer.. If you have some experiences with this technique I will appreciate...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      13.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      13.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      12 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      12.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      10 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      21.5 KB
      Views:
  15. Oct 31, 2017 #35

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moon movement is negligible over the sort of exposure time you will be using but camera , telescope shake could be responsible ( particluarly as the blur seems to be in the vertical direction and it looks like the pictures are in the right orientation. If you can image a star, the shape of the trail will give you a better idea of the nature of the spurious movement. On my DSLR the mirror lifting causes a massive wiggle so I use the 3s delay feature. If you are operating the shutter with your finger then you can expect some movement. Try using the shutter delay with hands off. What exposure times are you using?
    I have no experience of smart phone imaging but my comments apply in general.

16. Oct 31, 2017 #36

russ_watters

Those pictures are taken with a webcam, no lens on the webcam or eyepiece, and not touching the scope, right?

Yes, controlling magnification in that situation is difficult and the moon is big. You might try Saturn....

For the moon, you would probably want a focal reducer you can screw onto the adapter, which can cut the magnification by half. Next step: stacking....
    http://www.astronomie.be/registax/

You can also try taking different sections of the moon and assembling a mosaic. Here's an early attempt of mine at a 2x3 mosaic, with a webcam;

http://www.russsscope.net/images/moon-12-29-06.jpg

17. Nov 1, 2017 #37
    Hi
    thank you for advise and links... I will try (unfortunately Saturn at this time from my position is quite difficult to catch)..

18. Nov 1, 2017 #38

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's nice. I bet you were quite pleased with it. And the money you saved by not buying a sensor with six times the area!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted