1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Telescoping Series

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    I want to determine whether [tex] \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{2}{n^{2}-1} [/tex] is convergent or divergent. I did the following:

[tex] \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{2}{n^{2}-1} = \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} (\frac{1}{j-1} + \frac{1}{j+1}) [/tex]. Writing down some terms, I got:

[tex] (1-\frac{1}{3})+(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{4})+(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{5}) + (\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{6})... [/tex]. It seemed like all the terms were canceling except [tex] (1+\frac{1}{2}) [/tex].

But when I looked at the answer, it said the sum was [tex] s_{n}= 1+\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{n-1}-\frac{1}{n} [/tex].

Can anybody tell me how they got this?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

S_n is the partial sum, not the whole sum. to get the whole sum, take the limit of S_n as n-->oo and you do get 1+1/2.

4. Sep 30, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

btw, it should be

[tex] \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{2}{n^{2}-1} = \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} (\frac{1}{j-1} - \frac{1}{j+1}) [/tex]

Oh, but you developped the sum correctly, so never mind.

5. Sep 30, 2006 #4
    but how did they get the partial sum?

6. Sep 30, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

but hum... I do calculate something different for S_n... I get

[tex]S_n = 1+\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{n}+\frac{1}{n-1}-\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

7. Sep 30, 2006 #6

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like they want:

[tex]s_n=\sum_{j=2}^{n-1}\frac{1}{j-1}-\frac{1}{j+1}[/tex]

i.e. s_4 is really the first two terms of your sum, that is s_4=(1-1/3)+(1/2-1/4). Then:

[tex]s_n=\sum_{j=2}^{n-1}\frac{1}{j-1}-\sum_{j=2}^{n-1}\frac{1}{j+1}=\sum_{j=1}^{n-2}\frac{1}{j}-\sum_{j=3}^{n}\frac{1}{j}[/tex]

8. Oct 1, 2006 #7
    So lets say I have [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{3}{n(n+3)}) = (\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+3}) [/tex]. I said that this equals:

[tex] (1-\frac{1}{4})+(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{5})+(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{6})+(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{7})+...+(\frac{1}{n-1}-\frac{1}{n+2})+(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+3}) [/tex]. So how do I simplify this sequence of partial sums so that I can take the limit to get the value of the sum

Also if the nth partial sum of a series [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n} [/tex] is [tex] s_{n} = 3-\frac{n}{2^{n}} [/tex] find [tex] a_{n} [/tex] and [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n} [/tex]. So would [tex] a_{n} = s_{n}-s_{n-1} = (\frac{-n}{2^{n}}+\frac{n-1}{2^{n-1}}) [/tex]? The sum would be [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} s_{n} = 3 [/tex]?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  9. Oct 1, 2006 #8

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The same way I showed you above, break the partial sum into two sums and adjust their variables of summation so the things inside the sums match and you can subtract them (except a few terms on the ends).

Looks fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?