Solving Telescoping Series with n Terms

In summary, the conversation is about finding the end result of infinite sums with n in them. The process involves using partial fractions and plugging in numbers for n. The end result can be found by regrouping the terms and canceling out paired numbers, leaving a pattern that can be extended to any number of terms. The formal approach may not be helpful in understanding this process.
7C0A0A5
I have no idea how to do this :'( really the only part I don't understand is the ending part...like for

the infinite sum of (1/n(n+1))....I know you start of by partial fractions...then you just plug in a few numbers for n.

so I end up with:

(1 - 1/2) + (1/2 - 1/3) + (1/3 - 1/4) + ... + (1/n - 1/(n+1))

then in another problem...the infinite sum of ( 2/{(n-1)(n+1)} ) ends up like...

(1 - 1/3) + (1/2 - 1/4) +1/3 - 1/5) + ... + (1/(n-3) - 1/(n-1)) + (1/(n-2) - 1/n)

I want to know how you get the end results...the ones with "n" in them...I don't understand how to get those numbers...or why they are what they are...

I understand the first part without the "n"...but I don't know how to end it with the "n"...I hope this makes since. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, let's take a look at:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{4}\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]
So if we write it out longhand it turns into:
[tex](\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{2})+(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{3})+(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4})+(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{5})[/tex]
but we can regroup:
[tex]\frac{1}{1}+(-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2})+(-\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{3})+(-\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{4})-\frac{1}{5}[/tex]
This is just moving the parens around, but the paired numbers nicely all zero out, leaving you with
[tex]\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{5}[/tex]

It should be easy to see that the pattern can be extended to any number of terms so that you end up with
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{k}\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1}=1-\frac{1}{k+1}[/tex]

There are more formal approaches to this, but I doubt that they will be particularly helpful to you.

Last edited:

Hi there,

I understand that telescoping series can be confusing, but don't worry, with some practice, you'll get the hang of it! Let's break down the steps for solving telescoping series with n terms.

1. Write out the series: The first step is to write out the series with n terms. For example, the series (1/n(n+1)) would be written as:

(1 - 1/2) + (1/2 - 1/3) + (1/3 - 1/4) + ... + (1/n - 1/(n+1))

2. Simplify the fractions: Next, you want to simplify the fractions within the series. In the example above, you can see that the fractions (1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc.) are all decreasing by 1 in the denominator. This is the key to solving telescoping series. You want to manipulate the fractions so that they all have the same denominator.

3. Use partial fractions: In order to manipulate the fractions, we need to use partial fractions. This involves breaking down a fraction into smaller, simpler fractions. For the series (1/n(n+1)), we can use partial fractions to break it down into:

1/n - 1/(n+1)

4. Plug in values for n: Now that we have simplified the fractions, we can start plugging in values for n. In the first term, n = 1, so we get:

1/1 - 1/2 = 1/2

In the second term, n = 2, so we get:

1/2 - 1/3 = 1/6

As you can see, the denominator of the second term is now 6, which is the same as the denominator of the first term (2 x 3 = 6). This is the key to solving telescoping series - getting the fractions to cancel out.

5. Continue plugging in values for n: You can continue plugging in values for n until you reach the last term, which will be:

1/n - 1/(n+1)

For the last term, n = n, so we get:

1/n - 1/(n+1) = 1/n - 1/(n+1)

As you can see, the fractions cancel out, leaving us with the final result of

1. What is a telescoping series?

A telescoping series is a type of infinite series where most of the terms cancel each other out, leaving only a finite number of terms that can be evaluated. These types of series are often easier to solve than other types of infinite series.

2. How do I determine the number of terms in a telescoping series?

To determine the number of terms in a telescoping series, you need to look at the pattern of the terms and determine how many terms will remain after most of them cancel out. This can be done by examining the general term in the series and finding a pattern in the coefficients or exponents.

3. What is the general term in a telescoping series?

The general term in a telescoping series is the expression that represents each term in the series. It is often written as a function of the index variable n, which represents the position of the term in the series. This is useful in finding a pattern in the series and determining the number of terms.

4. How do I solve a telescoping series with n terms?

To solve a telescoping series with n terms, you first need to determine the general term and the number of terms in the series. Then, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, partial fraction decomposition, or telescoping cancellation to simplify the series and evaluate the remaining terms.

5. What are some common strategies for solving telescoping series problems?

Some common strategies for solving telescoping series problems include finding a pattern in the terms, using partial fraction decomposition to simplify the series, and using telescoping cancellation to eliminate most of the terms. It is also helpful to rewrite the series in terms of sigma notation and use properties of summation to evaluate the series.