Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Telescoping Sum

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1
    "Let (a_n) be bounded decreasing and (b_n) be bounded increasing sequences. Let x_n =a_n+b_n. Show that [tex]\sum|x_n-x_{n+1}|[/tex] converges."

This ALMOST is a telescoping sum, but it doesn't work since if I try to use the triangle inequality, the sum I want is on the greater side. Ratio test, root test, etc all fail since there is insufficient information.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you try to apply the triangle inequality? Try different groupings of the terms.

4. Mar 10, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

By the triangle inequality,

[tex]\sum|x_n-x_{n+1}| = \sum|a_n+b_n-(a_{n+1}+b_{n+1})| \leq \sum|a_n-a_{n+1}|+\sum|b_n-b_{n+1}|[/tex]​

also, bounded monotonic sequences are convergent.

5. Mar 10, 2006 #4
    They are indeed convergent, but showing that the terms of the series go to 0 is insufficient to show that it converges. If we remove the absolute value signs, it becomes a telescoping sum and therefore it converges. Knowing that, and that an, bn converge, can we conclude something from it?

6. Mar 10, 2006 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you will have shown the right hand side converges to a finite value. The left hand side has positive terms and is then bounded above, so?

7. Mar 10, 2006 #6
    How did you conclude that the RHS converges?

8. Mar 10, 2006 #7
    Nevermind, I figured it out, thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook