1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Telescoping Sum

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1
    "Let (a_n) be bounded decreasing and (b_n) be bounded increasing sequences. Let x_n =a_n+b_n. Show that [tex]\sum|x_n-x_{n+1}|[/tex] converges."

This ALMOST is a telescoping sum, but it doesn't work since if I try to use the triangle inequality, the sum I want is on the greater side. Ratio test, root test, etc all fail since there is insufficient information.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you try to apply the triangle inequality? Try different groupings of the terms.

4. Mar 10, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

By the triangle inequality,

[tex]\sum|x_n-x_{n+1}| = \sum|a_n+b_n-(a_{n+1}+b_{n+1})| \leq \sum|a_n-a_{n+1}|+\sum|b_n-b_{n+1}|[/tex]​

also, bounded monotonic sequences are convergent.

5. Mar 10, 2006 #4
    They are indeed convergent, but showing that the terms of the series go to 0 is insufficient to show that it converges. If we remove the absolute value signs, it becomes a telescoping sum and therefore it converges. Knowing that, and that an, bn converge, can we conclude something from it?

6. Mar 10, 2006 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you will have shown the right hand side converges to a finite value. The left hand side has positive terms and is then bounded above, so?

7. Mar 10, 2006 #6
    How did you conclude that the RHS converges?

8. Mar 10, 2006 #7
    Nevermind, I figured it out, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?