1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tell me the fourmla for displacement

1. Oct 27, 2005 #1
    okay i have a question.
    if a squirrel is at 0 on inital velocity and then is at -2 at final velocity.then what is its displacement?
    And i would appreciate it if someone can tell me the fourmla for displacement.:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2
    you need to give alot more info to be able to do this problem

disp= x_o+v_0*t+1/2at^2

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    Re: displacement

I think you would have a negative displacement you instead of going forwards went backwards your displacement would be 2. I think I have problems with physics so.....

5. Sep 30, 2008 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Re: displacement

Like mathmike said, you need to give a lot more information so an accurate displacement can be given, unless you are searching for displacement as a function of acceleration/time etc.

Using:

[tex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex] (1)

or

[tex]v^{2}=u^{2}+2as[/tex]
    Hence, [tex]s=\frac{v^{2}-u^{2}}{2a}[/tex] (2)

where,
    s=displacement
    u=initial velocity
    t=time
    a=acceleration

Using the information you have given, formula (1) can be simplified to:

[tex]s=\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

and formula (2) can be simplified to:

[tex]s=\frac{2}{a}[/tex]

It is obvious you will at least need acceleration to find the displacement, and yes, the displacement will be negative since your final velocity (v) is negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?