Tell me the fourmla for displacement

In summary, the question is asking for the displacement of a squirrel with an initial velocity of 0 and a final velocity of -2. The formula for displacement is s=ut+1/2at^2, but more information is needed to accurately calculate the displacement.
killer22
okay i have a question.
if a squirrel is at 0 on inital velocity and then is at -2 at final velocity.then what is its displacement?
And i would appreciate it if someone can tell me the fourmla for displacement.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to give a lot more info to be able to do this problem

disp= x_o+v_0*t+1/2at^2

I think you would have a negative displacement you instead of going forwards went backwards your displacement would be 2. I think I have problems with physics so...

Like mathmike said, you need to give a lot more information so an accurate displacement can be given, unless you are searching for displacement as a function of acceleration/time etc.

Using:

[tex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex] (1)

or

[tex]v^{2}=u^{2}+2as[/tex]
Hence, [tex]s=\frac{v^{2}-u^{2}}{2a}[/tex] (2)

where,
s=displacement
u=initial velocity
t=time
a=acceleration

Using the information you have given, formula (1) can be simplified to:

[tex]s=\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex]

and formula (2) can be simplified to:

[tex]s=\frac{2}{a}[/tex]

It is obvious you will at least need acceleration to find the displacement, and yes, the displacement will be negative since your final velocity (v) is negative.

What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the distance and direction an object has moved from its starting position. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both magnitude and direction.

What is the formula for displacement?

The formula for displacement is: Displacement = Final position - Initial position. It is represented by the symbol Δx, which stands for change in position.

What are the units for displacement?

The units for displacement are typically in meters (m) or any other unit of length, such as centimeters (cm) or kilometers (km). The unit depends on the system of measurement being used.

How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement and distance are often confused, but they are different concepts. Distance is a scalar quantity that measures how far an object has traveled, without taking into account direction. Displacement, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that takes into account both magnitude and direction.

Can the formula for displacement be used for both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, the formula for displacement can be used for both linear and rotational motion as long as the starting and final positions are defined and the motion is along a straight line or a circular path. However, the units for displacement may differ depending on the type of motion being considered.