Tell me what is quantum theory?

In summary, Quantum theory is a description of the universe at a small scale, based on the discrete lumpiness of energy and matter. It leads to strange yet true phenomena. The concept of time is not universally agreed upon by the scientific community, with theories ranging from a bending of three physical dimensions to non-existence. There are various theories about time in engineering, applied physics, and philosophy and theoretical physics that may be helpful in understanding it. However, quantum theory and time are not directly related.
benzun_1999
dear reader,
can anyone tell me what is quantum theory? and what is time sciendifically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are questions that are very very broad.

QT simply describes the behavior of matter at a very small scale.

Time is not agreed upon by the scientific community, so I would have to tell you multiple theories. (From, it's a bending of three physical dimensions to time doesn't exist.)

Quantum theory is a description of the universe (especially significant at small scales) based on inherent discrete lumpiness of energy and matter. Which leads to all sorts of weird stuff that are strange yet found to be true.

Personally...I have no idea

The second part of the question was about time so I posted that article as it makes interesting reading.

Good overview of quantum theory:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics

You can/will spend hours going through the links there and their links -- quantum theory covers a LOT of ground! Just remember, if it seems simple you didn't get it!

From the same source, about time:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time

Click on the links in the sections "Time in engineering and applied physics" and "Time in philosophy and theoretical physics" for some specific theories that may be helpful.

- Gary

What is quantum theory?

Quantum theory is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how particles can exist in multiple states at the same time and can be in a state of superposition.

Who developed quantum theory?

Quantum theory was developed by several scientists in the early 20th century, including Max Planck, Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrödinger, and others. They each contributed to different aspects of the theory and its development.

What is the difference between classical and quantum physics?

Classical physics is the branch of physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy at a macroscopic level, while quantum physics deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. Classical physics follows deterministic laws, while quantum physics follows probabilistic laws.

What are the practical applications of quantum theory?

Quantum theory has numerous practical applications, including the development of transistors, lasers, and other electronic devices. It is also used in cryptography, quantum computing, and medical imaging technologies.

How does quantum theory relate to the theory of relativity?

Quantum theory and the theory of relativity are two of the most important theories in modern physics, but they describe different aspects of the universe. While quantum theory deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, the theory of relativity explains the behavior of matter and energy at a macroscopic level, specifically in regards to gravity and space-time.