Tell me whether I solved this electrostatics problem correctly

In summary, the passage of a thundercloud caused the electric field strength in the atmosphere to rise. To calculate the charge of the thundercloud, we can use the formula E_0 = 2πσ, which gives us σ = E_0/(2π). To determine the electric field strength at the surface of one of the drops that carried the charge, we can use the formula E = 4r*E_0/(3d).
thequirk
Here's the problem:

The passage of a thundercloud overhead caused the vertical electric field strength in the atmosphere, measured at the ground, to rise to 0.1 statvolt/cm [E_0].

(a) How much charge didthe thundercloud contain, in esu per cm^2 of horizontal area?
(b) Suppose there was enough water in the thundercloud in the form of 1-millimeter-diameter [convert to cm and divide by two, call this r] drops to make 0.25 cm of rainfall [d], and that it was those drops which carried the charge. How large was the electric field strength at the surface of one of those drops?

Here's what I got:

(a) E_0 = 2πσ, from which we get σ = E_0/(2π)
(b) Here's where I am not sure whether I am doing the right thing or not.

Consider some part of the water at the ground of area A at the top (assuming level water).

Φ = 4πq and Φ = E_0 * A => q = AE_0/(4π)
This is the total charge there is.

On the other hand,
Adρ = AE_0/(4π) <=> ρ = E_0/(4πd)

Then the charge which is carried by one drop is:
Q = (4/3)πρr^3 => Q = (r^3)E_0/(3d)

Since the field at the surface is Q/R^2, we get:

E = R*E_0/(3d)

Physics news on Phys.org
Where R = 2r.Therefore, the electric field strength at the surface of one of those drops is:E = 4r*E_0/(3d)

Your solution appears to be correct. Good job! You used the correct equations and correctly applied them to solve the problem. Your explanation is also clear and easy to follow. Keep up the good work!

What is electrostatics and why is it important?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric charges and how they interact with each other.

What factors should I consider when solving an electrostatics problem?

When solving an electrostatics problem, you should consider the magnitude and direction of the charges, the distance between them, and the medium in which they are located.

How can I check if I solved an electrostatics problem correctly?

You can check your solution by using the principles of conservation of charge and energy. Make sure that the total charge before and after the interaction remains the same, and check if the total energy is conserved.

What are some common mistakes when solving electrostatics problems?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to take into account the signs of the charges, using the wrong formula or equation, and not considering the influence of external electric fields.

Are there any tips for solving electrostatics problems more efficiently?

Yes, it can be helpful to draw a diagram of the problem and label all the known and unknown quantities. It is also important to keep track of units and make sure they cancel out correctly in your calculations.