1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tell me whether I solved this electrostatics problem correctly

1. Dec 31, 2006 #1
    Here's the problem:

The passage of a thundercloud overhead caused the vertical electric field strength in the atmosphere, measured at the ground, to rise to 0.1 statvolt/cm [E_0].

(a) How much charge didthe thundercloud contain, in esu per cm^2 of horizontal area?
    (b) Suppose there was enough water in the thundercloud in the form of 1-millimeter-diameter [convert to cm and divide by two, call this r] drops to make 0.25 cm of rainfall [d], and that it was those drops which carried the charge. How large was the electric field strength at the surface of one of those drops?

Here's what I got:

(a) E_0 = 2πσ, from which we get σ = E_0/(2π)
    (b) Here's where I am not sure whether I am doing the right thing or not.

Consider some part of the water at the ground of area A at the top (assuming level water).

Φ = 4πq and Φ = E_0 * A => q = AE_0/(4π)
    This is the total charge there is.

On the other hand,
    Adρ = AE_0/(4π) <=> ρ = E_0/(4πd)

Then the charge which is carried by one drop is:
    Q = (4/3)πρr^3 => Q = (r^3)E_0/(3d)

Since the field at the surface is Q/R^2, we get:

E = R*E_0/(3d)
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted