Physics Behind Cushions and Flight Time Direction

In summary: So comfortable, you can recline in it and not feel a thing.The 1990's closed cell foam under a layer of open cell foam with tweed like material incaseing it all. We are talking butt heaven here. So comfortable, you can recline in it and not feel a thing.
orlandu
Tell me why...

I have two simple physics questions that i can't figure out myself.
1. How does cushion make a seat feel more comfortable?
2. If a plane flies over a considerable distance, will there be a noticable flight time duration difference if it flies over the same distance from west to east direction against from east to west direction? I myself think that there will be a time difference since the Earth rotates from west to east.

Physics news on Phys.org
orlandu said:
I have two simple physics questions that i can't figure out myself.
1. How does cushion make a seat feel more comfortable?
It helps spread the force due to your weight more evenly over your butt.
2. If a plane flies over a considerable distance, will there be a noticable flight time duration difference if it flies over the same distance from west to east direction against from east to west direction? I myself think that there will be a time difference since the Earth rotates from west to east.
To a first approximation, the air on Earth rotates with the same velocity as the ground. Since the airplane maintains airspeed, in the absence of wind, there would be no difference in elapsed flight time in flying east versus flying west.

Of course, the Earth really does have winds; an eastward wind would assist a plane when flying eastward, but hinder a plane when flying westward. A westward wind would have the opposite effect.

- Warren

Thanks a lot for the reply. I get it now

orlandu said:
Thanks a lot for the reply. I get it now
There is one instance in which direction makes a difference, but it doesn't involve airspeed. Most space launches are conducted from as close to the equator as possible, in the direction of the Earth's rotation, because the large diameter there gives the highest rotational speed. This gives the rocket an assist toward reaching orbital or escape velocity, but it's relative to the space around the Earth, not another point on the Earth.

Funny that this is in Physics, But a cushion helps because it contains trapped layers of air between the fibers. the more air, the softer the seat.

hypatia,

Regardless of the mechanism by which it is accomplished, the purpose of a cushion is to even out force.

- Warren

How does cushion make a seat feel more comfortable?

But only a soft cushion makes it comfortable, I took his question to be one of comfort. I have 2 chairs in my office, both will displace my weight evenly, yet only one is comfortable.

hypatia said:
How does cushion make a seat feel more comfortable?

But only a soft cushion makes it comfortable, I took his question to be one of comfort. I have 2 chairs in my office, both will displace my weight evenly, yet only one is comfortable.

How do the two displace your weight evenly? They must do so by different means. Can you elaborate?

I suspect one is molded but hard, while the other is cushioned. The cushioned seat will dynamically mold to distribute the weight evenly, no matter how you reposition yourself. A hard seat is only a factory-designed guess at what your butt is shaped like*.

However, if an exact mold of your butt was taken, it would be every bit as comfortable as the softest air-cushioned pillow - as long as you were motionless.

The pillowed seat isn't intrinsically more comfortable, it's just more adaptable at suiting your position.

*As this is a scientific discussion - we should deal with facts. In the interest of science, please send pictures of your butt. :rofl:

lmao... :rofl:

One is 1960's high tech{ultra modern} faux pleather with cotton batting filler. Looks really cool, but uncomfortable.
The other one is 1990's closed cell foam under a layer of open cell foam with tweed like material incaseing it all. We are talking butt heaven here.

1. What is the physics behind the flight time direction of cushions?

The flight time direction of cushions is determined by the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion. Specifically, the cushion's flight is influenced by the force of gravity, the initial velocity given to it, and air resistance.

2. How does the shape of a cushion affect its flight time direction?

The shape of a cushion can greatly impact its flight time direction. A cushion with a flat surface will experience more air resistance and have a shorter flight time compared to a cushion with a curved surface. This is because the curved surface reduces air resistance and allows for a more streamlined flight.

3. How does the weight of a cushion affect its flight time direction?

The weight of a cushion also plays a significant role in its flight time direction. A heavier cushion will experience more gravitational force, causing it to drop faster and have a shorter flight time. On the other hand, a lighter cushion will have a longer flight time as it is not pulled down as strongly by gravity.

4. What role does air resistance play in the flight time direction of cushions?

Air resistance is a crucial factor in determining the flight time direction of cushions. It is the force exerted by the air on the cushion as it moves through it. The higher the air resistance, the shorter the flight time of the cushion will be. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of motion, slowing down the cushion's flight.

5. How does the angle of projection affect the flight time direction of cushions?

The angle of projection, also known as the angle at which the cushion is launched, can greatly impact its flight time direction. A cushion launched at a higher angle will have a longer flight time compared to one launched at a lower angle. This is because a higher angle allows for a more vertical launch, minimizing air resistance and allowing for a longer flight.