Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Telluric current

1. Nov 18, 2014 #1
    Is there any reason that Telluric Currents can not used by us (humans) for electricity, or has anyone even looked into that? I know there is a Sci-Fi movie about using Telluric Currents.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Some people have patented the idea called earth batteries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_battery

While I couldn't find any details on telluric current strength, the article did mention that its not always reliable and that for greater potential difference you need the electrodes farther away and deeper in the ground.

4. Nov 18, 2014 #3
    Hydro,solar and wind energies are more available,reliable and better to tap into.

5. Nov 20, 2014 #4
    I believe this is a sample of pseudo science. If I were to place copper and zinc plates in salt water, dilute acid solution, or dilute alkaline solution, I'd get the same effect. It would not matter whether the plates were oriented North, South, East, or West. I could even place them one above another, because what has been described is the common battery. Wet dirt with the slightest ionic contaminate is the electrolyte, and the zinc electrode will be sacrificed as the current flows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook