Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Telomeres and aging

1. May 2, 2005 #1
    okay...i know that as DNA replicates, telomeres fall off/get shorter, and when they reach a certain point, the cell reaches senescence and can no longer replicate. I know that...but that's too simple. Is there more to it?...i.e. maybe anythign about when the cell reaches senescence, or any slightly more ocmplicated explanation? I hate to say this, but i have a TA who marks based on how long the assignment. My section on aging is only a small paragraph, and im bound to lose marks on it...i just want to know if there's any way i can lengthen it

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A warning: we are not here to make your assignment, but we can guide you (I think you know that).

So, first of all: telomeres don't fall off!

I want to ask you: do you know why telomeres shorten? And do you know why short telomeres are bad for a cell? Find out on a molecular level how that works and you will have your report :smile:

4. May 4, 2005 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So did you find an answer to my questions above?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?