Calculating Temp Rise in Conductor after Time t

In summary, this person is passing an electrical current through a metal conductor, and is interested in calculating the temperature rise after a certain amount of time.
Mahadev
I am passing Xamps thru a Ylenth of conductor for time t sec. can anybody suggest me how to calculate temperarure rise in the conductor after time tsec in a conductor

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry if I'm wasting your time but you can determine the resistivity of the conductor based on those factors.

Normally what i have seen are graphs of various materials vs power dissipation.

Here's info on a thermistor in the meanwhile. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor

If you know the resistivity of the conductor,alongwith the cross sectional area,you can find the resistance as (resistivity)*length/area,then the total energy dissipated is (current)squared * resistance.

does that help?

lala_alak said:
If you know the resistivity of the conductor,alongwith the cross sectional area,you can find the resistance as (resistivity)*length/area,then the total energy dissipated is (current)squared * resistance.

does that help?

In addition, by knowing the heat capacity of the conductor we can calculate the temperature rise of the conductor from the dissipated power.

aaNg

Realistically temperature can only be calculated in ideal and over simplified situations. There are many factors which effect the final temperature so it is very difficult to consider them all. A very large factor in the temperature of any object is the the temperature of the surroundings and the proximity of other objects. You can calculate accurately total energy loss or gain, but that does not automatically get you temperature.

The best way to find the temperature of a system is to measure it.

lala_alak said:

does that help?

Sorry,
this gives only power loss. how you can calculate a temperature rise after some time t?
Mahadev

Integral said:
Realistically temperature can only be calculated in ideal and over simplified situations. There are many factors which effect the final temperature so it is very difficult to consider them all. A very large factor in the temperature of any object is the the temperature of the surroundings and the proximity of other objects. You can calculate accurately total energy loss or gain, but that does not automatically get you temperature.

The best way to find the temperature of a system is to measure it.

But ... engineering works by simplifying situation. Otherwise, we will never arrive anywhere :-)

Actually i am designing a new trip coil for MCB so i want to know the temperature rise.
thank you

I think the simplification can be used as a first/preliminary estimation.

We can calculate the estimated dissipated heat, then we can find the temperature rise if we know the heat capacity of conductor.

That's the estimation.

To refine the result, used experiment :-)

aaNg

So once you multiply the power with time,you are left with the total energy,now you'll need the heat capacity of the material,i believe the overall relation is:

mass*specificheat*temperaturerise = total heat exchange.

I guess now you should be able to calculate the rise in temperature.

1. What is the formula for calculating the temperature rise in a conductor after a certain amount of time?

The formula for calculating temperature rise in a conductor after time t is: ΔT = (I^2 x R x t) / (C x m)

2. What do the variables in the formula represent?

I represents the current flowing through the conductor, R represents the resistance of the conductor, t represents the time in seconds, C represents the specific heat capacity of the conductor material, and m represents the mass of the conductor.

3. How does the current affect the temperature rise in a conductor?

The higher the current flowing through the conductor, the higher the temperature rise will be. This is because the formula for temperature rise includes the current squared.

4. What is the significance of the resistance in the formula?

The resistance of the conductor plays a crucial role in determining the temperature rise. A higher resistance means that more energy is being converted into heat, resulting in a higher temperature rise.

5. Is there a maximum temperature rise that a conductor can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum temperature that a conductor can reach before it starts to deteriorate or melt. This temperature is known as the melting point or critical temperature of the conductor material.