Understanding Correlation between Temperature & CO2

In summary: The graph does show a correlation between CO2 and Temperature, but it's not a perfect one. Using the correlation equation would give you a better idea of the strength of the relationship.
Howlin
What equation do the scientists use to get the correlation between CO2 and Temperature to find the relationship, is it the correlation equation or do they use a different maths equation?
and if they don't use the correlation equation could it be used to get the same result?

Science news on Phys.org
Your question - without context - doesn't make sense. Please elaborate.

climate scientists have released graphs that shows that when CO2 increases, temperature also increses and i want to know what forumla (if any) do they use to to show that
I was doing correlation questions and i want to know if the correlation equation qould be suitable to find out the correlation number
do i need to explain myself better?

It would be a thermo dynamics equation.
At the base of it is the way that energy can pass through CO2 as certain colours of light while other colours (infra-red aka heat) are partially reflected. The equation would most likely involve the specific heat of the world (overall), the energy allowed into the atmosphere with different percentages of CO2 and the energy allowed to escape our atmosphere with different percentages of CO2.
The equation itself is most likely very complicated.

Howlin said:
climate scientists have released graphs that shows that when CO2 increases, temperature also increses and i want to know what forumla (if any) do they use to to show that

Measure the amount of CO2 and the temperature, plot it. The equation would be that of the line on the graph.

It's a bit basic, but it would do the job.

With that, knowing either value would allow you to work out the other one. E.g. you know the CO2 value, you can get the temperature from it.

Or have I completely missed the point?

As far as I'm aware, there isn't some magic equation which gives you the level of CO2 at any time and the temperature. You have to measure them and work from there.

Do you have a link to such a graph by the way?
JaredJames (JJ?) is right, just by viewing the graph you could make an equation, but knowing the fundamental factors of the equation would be far more complex.

ok thanks
im thinking out loud
if you do a scatter plot of CO2 on the x-axis and temperature on the y-axis and get a range of values for c02 and the corresponding temperature, it should be a "close" fit line and if you use the correlation equation to find r, the answe should be in the .80's or .90's

Am i wrong in my thinking?

1. How does temperature affect CO2 levels?

Temperature and CO2 levels have a direct relationship. As temperature increases, more CO2 is released into the atmosphere through natural processes such as respiration and decomposition. This leads to higher levels of CO2 in the atmosphere.

2. What is the correlation between temperature and CO2?

The correlation between temperature and CO2 is positive, meaning that as one variable increases, the other also increases. This has been observed through various studies and data analysis.

3. Is there a lag time between changes in temperature and CO2 levels?

Yes, there is a lag time between changes in temperature and CO2 levels. This is due to the time it takes for natural processes to release CO2 into the atmosphere in response to changes in temperature.

4. How does human activity contribute to the correlation between temperature and CO2?

Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, contribute to the increase in CO2 levels in the atmosphere. This in turn contributes to the overall increase in global temperatures, further reinforcing the correlation between temperature and CO2.

5. Can we reverse the correlation between temperature and CO2?

While it may not be possible to completely reverse the correlation between temperature and CO2, we can work towards reducing our carbon footprint and implementing sustainable practices to slow down the increase in CO2 levels and mitigate the effects of climate change.