1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature and frequency in an organ pipe

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1

The frequency of the note [tex]{\rm F}_4[/tex] is [tex]f_F[/tex].

1. If an organ pipe is open at one end and closed at the other, what length must it have for its fundamental mode to produce this note at a temperature of T? The speed of sound is [tex]v_s[/tex].

I used the equation [tex]f_n = \frac{nv}{4L}[/tex]. Plugging in known values resulted in [tex]L = \frac{1}{4}\frac{v_s}{f_F}[/tex]. This is correct.

2. At what air temperature will the frequency be f? (Ignore the change in length of the pipe due to the temperature change.)

I have no idea how to start this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2
    will the frequency be f? What's the value of f?

I know the speed of sound varies at different temperatures. Our book/teacher never gave us a formula though. Velocity of sound is given by v = sqrt(B/rho). Where B is the bulk modulus of air and rho is the density. So if you can figure out how B and rho varie with temperature you should get somewhere.

Maybe someone else can help further...
  4. Nov 7, 2005 #3
    You're right about temperature affecting velocity; my book made explicit mention of that.

But, it, too gave no formula for this type of problem in the respective section.
  5. Nov 11, 2005 #4
    I asked my professor and he gave an equation where frequency is 331 + 0.6T.

I tried this, but was unsuccessful.

How do I get wavelength from this?
  6. Nov 11, 2005 #5

Staff: Mentor

That formula is for the speed of sound in air at temperature T, where T is in °C, and speed in m/s.
    Ref: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe.html

v = [itex]\lambda[/itex] f, where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is wavelength and f is frequency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?