1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature and Frequency?

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A piano is to be tuned at 20.0°C. However, when the temperature has lowered to 6.32°C, the piano will be off tune. By what percentage will the piano be off key at this low temperature?

2. Relevant equations
    V = Square Root (3RT/M)

3. The attempt at a solution
    T must be in Kelvins, so 20--> 293 K and 6.32--> 279.47 K

Because 3R/M is constant for both temperatures, you can ignore that in the equation so it is just the square root of temperature.
    V1 = Sqrt (293)
    V2 = Sqrt (279.47)

To find the percent difference, I did (1 - V2/V1) = 0.0234. Thus, the percent difference is 2.34%, but that wasn't the right answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2008 #2
    I just tried doing it a different way, but that still didn't give me the right answer.

V = 331 + .6(T)
    V1=343 m/s
    V2=334.792 m/s

1-v2/v1 = 0.0239 = 2.39%

I am really confused on this problem if anyone knows what I am doing wrong.
  4. Jun 23, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where did you get the equation from ?
    Are you sure T isn't tension?
  5. Jun 23, 2008 #4
    I'm no expert, I'm in grade 11 just like you but I'm a little better at this stuff than the rest... I'm not sure if I'm right, but use the V = 331 + .6(T) formula, and divide the first number (original), by the new number? And you might get a percentage?

T is the temperature, it is also tension in different equations.
    The equation that I repeated (v=) is from the Grade 11 textbook... it is a valid formula.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  6. Jun 24, 2008 #5
    I flipped the equation so that it was V1/V2, which gave a percent of 2.45, but that didn't work either. I don't think this question is supposed to be that difficult, so could it just be a problem with the answer, since I'm pretty sure everything I did was right.

Does anyone notice anything wrong though with the work I did earlier?
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?