Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature and Space

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    1. How do we accurately measure the temperature in space? To my knowledge, temp. measurment depends on some type of conduction to take place. How does that happen in vacuum space?

2. Could gravity simply be large scale effect of temperature differences and the fact that suns continually heat orbiting matter while space continually cools it? In other words, do we attract to the earth like condensation to a glass (rain)?

3.And how about electrostatic? Certainly the rotation of a planet against an atmosphere and space must generate some amazing static cling.

day/night = black/white = Rotation (ie: radiometer)
    matter/vacuum = hot/cold = Condensation
    Rotation=Friction=Electrostatic Energy
    Electrostatic Energy+Oceans=Atmosphere
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2
    Not enough drier sheets in the universe.

Wow… The theoretical physics is strong with you… Let me see if I can be of some assistance.

1.) To measure the temp in space, you’re going to need a thermometer. Ha ha. Seriously the temp. in space is on the same scale as the temp outside right now. However, we’re in a near vacuum, so it’s kind of odd. See in space, we actually have a temp, maybe a few degrees above zilch Kelvin. However, the hard part is this… if you’re exposed to sunlight and you’re reasonably close to that source… say a few million miles. Your thermometer is going to heat up like a turkey in a pressure cooker. The problem is that the vacuum of space is a really good insulator. But there are still particles floating around… the average energy of the particles is a positive number.
    2.) Gravity could be a lot of things…. I just got schooled on that by one of the mentors. However, Condensation is going to be a function involving diffusion… random, not facilitated. So probably not… I mean there is a flow of “heat energy” from your areas of differing temperature, but not for the actual particles. However, maybe this brings up a new theory of “heat gravity”.
    3.) Amazing static cling. Get this dude… the energy dissipated in a bolt of lighting (from your friction of moving celestial objects against their respective atmospheres) would be equivalent to the power output of my 360ci strait six turbo charged Cummins diesel over the course a few years… And how about static cling? Well… Say there was an excess of ooooh, 1% protons in the moon, and an excess of oh, 1% electrons on the earth... Well.. The earth and moon (assuming they could hold together) would promptly slam into each other at a velocity so ridiculous, that… Ok, it’s just ridiculous… I mean, solar wind is due to like a few milligrams of extra protons hanging out on the surface of the sun. Your static cling theory is like you said… Amazing.
  4. Jan 27, 2005 #3

Gold Member

There are THREE forms of heat transfer: convection, conduction, radiation. Only third applies in space.

Radiation is easy to experience in front of a firepit or fireplace. Your front can get quite hot, while your back freezes. This is not due to convection or conduction, or your back would enjoy most of the same benefits merely by contact with the air. But radiation has an effect only in a straight line, thus only your front gets hot.

It also happens when you stand in full sunlight on a cold day. You can feel the heat on your face, even though the air is cold. That heat is not coming from contact with the air. (Air is quite fluid, if your face were hot from contact with hot air, the rest of you would be too.) The heat is directly radiated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?