Temperature and spectral lines

In summary, the temperature of a diffuse gas cloud in distant space can be inferred from the relative intensities of the spectral lines which indicates the distribution of the population of excited states. However, until I uncovered this suggestion, I had accepted temperature to be proportional to the average kinetic energy of the particles (including rotational and vibrational) by definition. So, which is it? Which defines the temperature: kinetic energy or internal energy (or a combination of both)?
turin
Homework Helper
I'm trying to understand this application of thermodynamics to astronomical inferrence. As I understand it, the temperature of a diffuse gas cloud in distant space can be inferred from the relative intensities of the spectral lines (correct?) which indicates the distribution of the population of excited states. However, until I uncovered this suggestion, I had accepted temperature to be proportional to the average kinetic energy of the particles (including rotational and vibrational) by definition (through Boltzmann's constant). So, which is it? Which defines the temperature: kinetic energy or internal energy (or a combination of both)?

And, if it is kinetic energy, then does a cloud of gas moving through space have a higher temperature than an identical cloud of gas that is stationary; is temperature frame dependent?

Science news on Phys.org
Because the temperature (average kinetic energy) is higher more atoms will be in excited states due to more energetic collisions. Thus the spectral lines present will be an indication of the temperature.

turin said:
I had accepted temperature to be proportional to the average kinetic energy of the particles (including rotational and vibrational) by definition

And, if it is kinetic energy, then does a cloud of gas moving through space have a higher temperature than an identical cloud of gas that is stationary; is temperature frame dependent?
I think the definition is made up with the internal energy of the system which is rotational, vibrational energy of the particles and translational energy wrt the center of mass. To get the total energy one has to add [itex]P^2 / 2 M[/itex](total mass/momentum). Like this the definition is frame invariant.

Integral said:
Because the temperature (average kinetic energy) is higher more atoms will be in excited states due to more energetic collisions. Thus the spectral lines present will be an indication of the temperature.
In what way ? Exactly what is the relationship between temperature and line intensities ?

Higher temperature -> more high energy photons ?

I guess it's more complicated than that ?

when it is hotter the electrons are in higher energy levels. at these different (higher) energy levels different atomic transitions can occur. this gives the different spectral lines.

Probably the best way to define temperature is the mean free energy per unit quantum, regardless of the nature of the quantum, which could be a free photon, electron, lattice exitation or internal vibrational mode.

What's "mean free energy?"

turin said:
What's "mean free energy?"
"mean" is essentially average here.

Free energy is that part of its energy not bound up in being what it is. For solitary massive particles, don't include rest energy. For lattices, don't include binding energy of the lattice.

Njorl

Oh, you can also see temperature distributions in the broadening of transition spectra. A hot gas will broaden a line by red-shifting and blue-shifting around a mean wavelength more than a cold gas will.

You can also gauge temperatures from absorption broadening - broadening of dark lines in a spectrum.

Njorl

Wouldn't the intensities of the spectral lines also be indicative of the amount of substance in the gas cloud?

Njorl said:
Free energy is that part of its energy not bound up in being what it is. For solitary massive particles, don't include rest energy. For lattices, don't include binding energy of the lattice.
How does this exclude the overall kinetic energy of the bulk (which is free energy by this definition as I understand it)? Doesn't this disallow the distribution of oribital energies as an indication of temperature?

When you consider the kinetic energy of the bulk, you have a choice of reference frames. You can zero the bulk kinetic energy by the judicious choice of frame, then attribute gross red or blue shifting to the moving observer.

Njorl

What is temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how hot or cold something is.

How is temperature related to spectral lines?

Temperature is closely related to spectral lines because the energy levels of atoms and molecules, which determine the wavelengths of light they absorb and emit, are affected by temperature. As temperature increases, the energy levels of particles also increase, causing them to emit light at different wavelengths.

What is the significance of spectral lines in temperature measurement?

Spectral lines are important in temperature measurement because they can provide valuable information about the temperature of a substance. By observing the wavelengths of light emitted by a substance, scientists can determine its temperature and other properties, such as chemical composition.

How do scientists use temperature and spectral lines in their research?

Scientists use temperature and spectral lines in a variety of ways in their research. For example, they can use spectral lines to study the composition and temperature of stars, determine the temperature of planets and other celestial bodies, and analyze the properties of materials in a laboratory setting.

How can changes in temperature affect spectral lines?

Changes in temperature can have a significant impact on spectral lines. As temperature increases, the energy levels of particles change, causing shifts in the wavelengths of light they emit and absorb. This can alter the appearance of spectral lines and provide valuable insights into the temperature and properties of a substance.