What is the Meaning of Temperature at Equilibrium?

In summary: This means that the entropy doesn't have to be at its maximum for a given energy.In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of temperature in statistical mechanics and the question of how it relates to energy and entropy at equilibrium. It also mentions the microcanonical ensemble and how energy is constant in this ensemble. The speaker is curious about the concept of temperature and its relationship to energy and entropy.
arcteus
Heya!

I've done my statistical mechanics course, but still. Whenever I see the temperature, a question pops up in my head! So I'm curious to see if someone can help me with this obsession!

Temperature is defined as

T = (dS/dE)^-1

S: amount of accessible microstates
E: energy

1) temperature is defined at equilibrium. this should mean approximately constant energy. yet this definition implies a variation of energy. O,O

-> is the ghost of Heisenberg behind this (energy defined always as part of an interval)?

2) at equilibrium, I expect S to be at its maximum. so dS/dE should be equal to 0! and 1/0, well...

I'm very curious to see ideas about this!
Thanks for any ideas!

Science news on Phys.org
Well first of all this is the definition in the microcanonical ensemble. Because of this energy for the ensemble is constant. So when you speak dS/dE, what this means is how much the equilibrium entropy will change by changing the ensemble energy by dE.

In this ensemble the entropy is actually a slowly increasing function of energy, so it doesn't reach a maximum, but this isn't an issue because you contrict the available equilibrium states to those of a particular energy defined by the ensemble.

1. What is meant by "temperature at equilibrium"?

"Temperature at equilibrium" refers to the temperature at which a system reaches a state of balance or stability, in which there is no net transfer of heat between the system and its surroundings.

2. How is temperature at equilibrium determined?

The temperature at equilibrium is determined by the balance between the rates of heat absorption and heat release in a system. When these rates are equal, the system is said to be at equilibrium and the temperature remains constant.

3. Why is temperature at equilibrium important?

Temperature at equilibrium is important because it indicates a stable state in a system. This is necessary for many chemical and physical processes to occur, as they often require specific temperature conditions to proceed.

4. What factors can affect the temperature at equilibrium?

The temperature at equilibrium can be affected by various factors such as changes in pressure, concentration, and the addition or removal of heat from the system. These changes can cause the equilibrium to shift and the temperature to change accordingly.

5. How does the temperature at equilibrium relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The temperature at equilibrium is in accordance with the second law of thermodynamics, which states that in a closed system, heat will naturally flow from a higher temperature to a lower temperature until equilibrium is reached. This law also explains why the temperature at equilibrium remains constant in a closed system.