1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature change scales

1. Aug 29, 2013 #1
    Answer is in document.
    The problem does make sense to me because how can you compare three difference temperature scales, and this is why I am posting the problem to make sure I am correct.

Basically what I did was assumed that the numbers at the bottom corresponded to absolute zero for the given scale then I calculated the difference between the ranges of the scale.

If this is correct I believe a general statement can be made here. the boiling point and freezing point of all temperature scales are related assuming all temperature scales are callibrated equally.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You made a mistake in part b.

Note that this problem is a special case as all three temperature scales have degrees of the same size, which is not the case for instance for the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales.

4. Aug 29, 2013 #3
    The only thing that I can think of is creating three equation, one of temperature W, Temp X, and temp Y. Then relating Temp W to temp X and also relate Temp Y to temp X then compare the values.

Is there another way of doing this?

5. Aug 29, 2013 #4

DrClaude

What you can do is come up with equations that allow you to convert from one scale to another. Then, choose one scale as the reference, convert the values on the other scales to that scale, then compare.

In the case where all the scales have the same size of degrees, you can also calculate the difference with respect to a fixed point, as you did comparing to the freezing point. You simply made a mistake in calculating one of the values.

6. Aug 29, 2013 #5
    oops. It should have been 50 - 0 and not 90 - 0. Once I make that correction then will I have the correct values to compare?

7. Aug 29, 2013 #6
    so it should be 50x , 50y , 50w

8. Aug 29, 2013 #7

DrClaude

Correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted