Replacing Temp Controller: What to Look For?

In summary, the controller properties/settings/ that I have to pay attention to. are:- resistance- temperature range- accuracy- type of connectionFor the replacement, I am thinking about cross referencing the original controller with something that I will have in stock. What should consider in a controller for it to go with my application?The properties/settings/ that I have to pay attention to. for a controller for an application are:- resistance- temperature range- accuracy- type of connection
EEFinder
I am trying to replace a Temp. Controller that is no more produces anymore.
What are the controller properties/settings/ that I have to pay attention to. in another word, what to select a temp controller for certain application?
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What did you have before and what are you hooking it to?

this was dumped on me today,
the original controller was "ripped" for the application (industrial heating pad), long time ago. so there is no way to know which one goes where, meaning that no documentation what so ever of which wires go to the RTD, control, and power... is available.
I am thinking about cross referencing the original controller with something that I will have in stock.
to do this I wanted to know what should consider in a controller for it to go with my application.

Thanks.

Thanks of the Reply.

you see just for the sake of analogy, if someone asks about what to look for in selecting an electric motor, I would answer RPM, current, Voltage,Frame, HP,

I am looking for similar answer, but using Temp Controller instead of the electric motor. I know 2 so far that are the voltage and the Temp Sensing element (RTD, TC..) and wondering what the others are?

Hope this makes sense

EEFinder said:
... in another word, what to select a temp controller for certain application?
Well, know the application helps to know in order to answer such a general question. But Okay. 4-20 ma loop?

OK http://www.grainger.com/product/OMRON-Digital-Temprature-Controller-WP135543/_/N-8h2?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4YE30_AS01?$smthumb$

Last edited by a moderator:
form, fit, function

What do you know about the one that's no longer there ?

First question is this an on off controller or a proportional device?

1. What is a temp controller and why is it important?

A temp controller, short for temperature controller, is a device used to regulate and maintain a specific temperature in a system or equipment. It is important because precise temperature control is crucial in many scientific experiments and processes.

2. How do I know when it's time to replace my temp controller?

There are a few signs that indicate it's time to replace your temp controller. These include malfunctioning, inaccurate temperature readings, and frequent breakdowns. It's also recommended to replace your temp controller every few years to ensure optimal performance.

3. What factors should I consider when looking for a replacement temp controller?

When looking for a replacement temp controller, consider the required temperature range, accuracy, response time, and compatibility with your system. You should also consider the reputation and reliability of the manufacturer.

4. Can I replace my temp controller with any model or brand?

No, it's important to ensure compatibility between your system and the temp controller. Different models and brands may have different voltage requirements, communication protocols, and connection types. It's best to consult with a professional to determine the best replacement for your specific needs.

5. How do I properly install a new temp controller?

The installation process may vary depending on the specific temp controller and system. It's recommended to carefully read the manufacturer's instructions and consult with a professional if needed. Generally, it involves connecting the power source, temperature sensor, and output device, and setting the desired temperature and other parameters.