1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature graph slope

1. Jul 24, 2013 #1
    In a series of experiments, block B is to be placed in a thermally insulated container with
    block A, which has the same mass as blockB. In each experiment, block B is initially at a certain temperature TB, but temperature TA of block A is changed from experiment to experiment. Let Tf
    represent the final temperature of the two blocks when they reach thermal equilibrium in any of the experiments. The graph(attatched) gives temperature Tf versus the initial temperature TA for a range of possible values of TA, from TA = 0 K to TA = 500 K. The vertical axis scale is set by Tfs= 400 K. What are:
    (a)temperature TB.
    (b) the ratio cB/cA of the specific heats of the blocks?
    sfa.JPG

Ok so, I was able to solve this problem, however, my book answer used a method that I did not understand:
    Slope.JPG

How can he infer that the slope is equal to [itex]\frac{c_A}{c_A+c_B}[/itex]? Where did that come from?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2013 #2
    Rewriting the expression as ##T_f=\left(\frac{c_A}{c_A+c_B}\right) T_A+\left(\frac{c_B}{c_A+c_B}\right) T_B## might help. :wink:

4. Jul 24, 2013 #3
    Oh, yes it does! Thanks a lot:smile:

5. Jul 24, 2013 #4
    You're most certainly welcome. Good luck with the physics. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted