Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Temperature homework question

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A constant-volume gas thermometer is calibrated in dry ice (that is, carbon dioxide in the solid state, which has a temperature of -80.0°C) and in boiling ethyl alcohol (78.0°C). The two pressures are 0.861 atm and 1.569 atm.
    (a) What Celsius value of absolute zero does the calibration yield? (Express your answer to the nearest 0.01°C.)
    °C:eek:

2. Relevant equations

So I'm given this T= T1-p1X(T2-T1/P2-P1)= -273.47

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the equation and it works with the values that are given however i don't get what exactly the question is looking for if someone can clear it up i would really appreciate it :shy:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2
    well, most other kinds of thermometers have a specific range, outside of which they would be inaccurate. i think the question just wants to show that const vol thermometers are accurate over a wide range.

anyhow, i did some googling and came up with this. http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/1360/19Temp/Absolute.html

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook