1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature homework question

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A constant-volume gas thermometer is calibrated in dry ice (that is, carbon dioxide in the solid state, which has a temperature of -80.0°C) and in boiling ethyl alcohol (78.0°C). The two pressures are 0.861 atm and 1.569 atm.
    (a) What Celsius value of absolute zero does the calibration yield? (Express your answer to the nearest 0.01°C.)
    °C:eek:

2. Relevant equations

So I'm given this T= T1-p1X(T2-T1/P2-P1)= -273.47

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the equation and it works with the values that are given however i don't get what exactly the question is looking for if someone can clear it up i would really appreciate it :shy:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2
    well, most other kinds of thermometers have a specific range, outside of which they would be inaccurate. i think the question just wants to show that const vol thermometers are accurate over a wide range.

anyhow, i did some googling and came up with this. http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/1360/19Temp/Absolute.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?