Temperature homework question

In summary, a constant-volume gas thermometer is calibrated in dry ice and boiling ethyl alcohol, with pressures of 0.861 atm and 1.569 atm respectively. Using the equation T1-p1X(T2-T1/P2-P1)= -273.47, the Celsius value for absolute zero is -273.47°C. This shows that constant-volume gas thermometers are accurate over a wide range, unlike other types of thermometers. The question is simply asking for the Celsius value of absolute zero, expressed to the nearest 0.01°C.
zcabral

Homework Statement

A constant-volume gas thermometer is calibrated in dry ice (that is, carbon dioxide in the solid state, which has a temperature of -80.0°C) and in boiling ethyl alcohol (78.0°C). The two pressures are 0.861 atm and 1.569 atm.
(a) What Celsius value of absolute zero does the calibration yield? (Express your answer to the nearest 0.01°C.)
°C:eek:

Homework Equations

So I'm given this T= T1-p1X(T2-T1/P2-P1)= -273.47

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the equation and it works with the values that are given however i don't get what exactly the question is looking for if someone can clear it up i would really appreciate it :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
well, most other kinds of thermometers have a specific range, outside of which they would be inaccurate. i think the question just wants to show that const vol thermometers are accurate over a wide range.

anyhow, i did some googling and came up with this. http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/1360/19Temp/Absolute.html

Based on the given information, it seems that the question is asking for the Celsius value of absolute zero that is derived from the calibration of the constant-volume gas thermometer. This value can be calculated using the given equation, which takes into account the temperatures and pressures of the two calibration points. The result, -273.47°C, is the Celsius value of absolute zero that is derived from this particular calibration. It is important to note that this value may differ slightly from the accepted value of -273.15°C due to experimental errors and uncertainties.

1. What is temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the amount of heat energy in a substance. It is typically measured in degrees Celsius (°C) or Fahrenheit (°F).

2. How is temperature measured?

Temperature is usually measured using a thermometer, which contains a liquid (such as mercury or alcohol) that expands or contracts with changes in temperature. The temperature is read by looking at the level of the liquid on a scale.

3. What is the difference between temperature and heat?

Temperature and heat are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat, while heat is the total amount of energy contained in a substance.

4. How does temperature affect matter?

Temperature can affect matter in a variety of ways. For example, as temperature increases, most substances will expand and become less dense. This is why hot air rises and cold air sinks. Temperature can also cause changes of state, such as melting, boiling, and condensation.

5. What are some common units of temperature?

The most commonly used units of temperature are degrees Celsius (°C) and Fahrenheit (°F). In scientific contexts, Kelvin (K) is also commonly used. Some other units of temperature include degrees Rankine (°R) and degrees Newton (°N), but these are not as widely used.