1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature/Ideal Gas Problem

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well, I did get an answer to this, but I don't think I did it right. It kinda seems wrong to me, so I wanted a second opinion :)

At 25 m below the surface of the sea (Density = 1025 kg/m^3), where the temperature is 5 degrees Celsius, a diver exhales an air bubble having a volume of 1 cm^3. If the surface temp of the sea is 20 degrees Celsius, what is the volume of the bubble just before it breaks the surface?

2. Relevant equations
    Ideal gas: PV = nRT
    P = Po + (DENSITY)gh ??Not sure if I should use this??

3. The attempt at a solution

P = Po + Density(g)(h) = 1.013 x 10^5 Pa + (1025)(9.81)(25)
    P = 3.5 x 10^5 Pa (This seems fairly logical to me... kinda? But I'm not very logical :P)

Under the sea
    (3.5 x 10^5)(0.01 m^3) = n(3.814)(278 degrees K)
    n = 3.3
    At surface
    (1.013 x 10^5)(V) = (3.3)(3.814)(293)
    V = 0.036 m^3, or 3.6 cm^3... that's fairly reasonable, isn't it?? But I'm not sure if using the P = Po + density(g)(h) was all right when the height is below the sea like that ??
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can use pv=nRT remember that 'nR' isconstant.
    Then you just need to find the pressure at 25m underwater, p = density * g * h

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    Forgive me if I sound dense (I may very well be!) but isn't that kind of what I did? If it's been smart enough to note they were constant, I could have done it with less work

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Looks OK to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?