Temperature in Space: The Kelvin Scale

In summary, Google suggests that the temperature of the microwave background radiation is around 2.7 Kelvin.
Niladri Dan
The Kelvin scale states that the temperature is a measure of the kinetic energy of the particles(molecules) of the system. But what is the temperature of a system where there are no particles...for example free space, far away from the stellar civilisation...

Science news on Phys.org
Niladri Dan said:
The Kelvin scale states that the temperature is a measure of the kinetic energy of the particles(molecules) of the system. But what is the temperature of a system where there are no particles...for example free space, far away from the stellar civilisation...

hi there

for a start have a read of some better definitions of the Kelvin scale compared to what you wrote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin

you will discover that temperature isn't just based on kinetic energy of the particlesDave

Niladri Dan said:

That definition of temperature in terms of the kinetic energy of the particles in a system is incomplete; we also have to include a contribution from whatever radiation, like the cosmic microwave background, is out there. And even intergalactic space is not completely devoid of matter - there are a few stray atoms floating around, and the occasional highly energetic cosmic ray coming through.

I have tried to think about the some thing but 'in the gaps' at molecular level of the atmosphere.

pBrane said:
I have tried to think about the some thing but 'in the gaps' at molecular level of the atmosphere.
The temperature "in the gaps" between molecules does not exist. Temperature is a statistical property of large collections of things such as atoms and molecules. If you restrict your attention to a setting with a collection of zero objects, temperature is no longer an attribute of that collection.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your posting.

jbriggs444 said:
The temperature "in the gaps" between molecules does not exist. Temperature is a statistical property of large collections of things such as atoms and molecules. If you restrict your attention to a setting with a collection of zero objects, temperature is no longer an attribute of that collection.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your posting.
Don't worry about it, I may have misunderstood my posting as well!

pBrane said:
Don't worry about it, I may have misunderstood my posting as well!
WOW ... over 2 years to respond ... almost a record :wink::biggrin::smile:

davenn said:
WOW ... over 2 years to respond ... almost a record :wink::biggrin::smile:
wuz time travlin, just sayin.. topic probably banned here so don't tell anyone!

Likes davenn

What is the Kelvin Scale?

The Kelvin scale is an absolute temperature scale used in scientific settings. It is based on the concept of absolute zero, which is the lowest possible temperature where all molecular motion stops. On the Kelvin scale, absolute zero is 0 K.

How is the Kelvin scale different from Celsius and Fahrenheit?

The Kelvin scale is different from Celsius and Fahrenheit because it is an absolute temperature scale. This means that it does not use negative numbers to represent below-freezing temperatures. Instead, the temperature on the Kelvin scale starts at absolute zero and increases as the temperature increases.

Why is the Kelvin scale used in space?

The Kelvin scale is used in space because it is an absolute temperature scale and is therefore more accurate for scientific measurements. In addition, the Kelvin scale is used in space because it is not affected by changes in atmospheric pressure, which can affect the accuracy of other temperature scales.

What is the average temperature in space on the Kelvin scale?

The average temperature in space on the Kelvin scale is about 2.7 K. This is the temperature of the cosmic microwave background, which is the radiation left over from the Big Bang. However, the temperature in different parts of space can vary greatly, ranging from -270.45°C to millions of degrees Celsius.

Can the Kelvin scale be used to measure extreme temperatures in space?

Yes, the Kelvin scale is often used to measure extreme temperatures in space, such as those found in stars or black holes. This is because the Kelvin scale does not have a maximum temperature, unlike the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales. It is also useful for measuring very low temperatures, such as those found in interstellar space.