Temperature in the space between planets of our solar system?

In summary, the space between planets in our solar system is extremely cold, with temperatures dropping to near absolute zero. This is due to the lack of a significant atmosphere to trap heat, along with the vast distances between planets. The temperature also varies depending on the distance from the Sun, with outer planets experiencing even colder temperatures. However, there are some exceptions, such as the Venusian atmosphere, which has a thick layer of greenhouse gases that trap heat and result in extremely high temperatures. Overall, the temperature in the space between planets is a complex and varied aspect of our solar system.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
I know that the overall temperature of the universe is microwaves at 3 Kelvin or so from the Big Bang, but is this mostly for deep space? Or is this pretty much the temperature in our solar system also, assuming a coordinates some distance away from any of our planets but still within our solar system? For example, since we are close to a star that puts out a significant amount of energy, it seems that within our solar system and between the planets, space around our neighborhood should be higher. I tried to look for a map of temperature verses distance from sol but I couldn't find one.

Likes K. Doc Holiday
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Since the planets are more or less in equilibrium with the Sun (neglecting residual heat when the planet formed, radioactivity, ...), the temperature of the planets is a pretty good indicator of the temperature at different distances from the Sun. One has to be careful though to take into account the greenhouse effect, especially for Venus and the Earth.

Nasa has a nice picture: http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/galleries/solar-system-temperatures

Last edited:
Likes Stephanus
One could also calculate the temperature of a blackbody in equilibrium with the Sun as a function of the distance between the two.

Last edited:
Likes K. Doc Holiday
Perfect! I went through the calculations on that map, everything works. All good here.

Likes K. Doc Holiday
And be aware that the solar wind is at a much higher temperature than that, since it is not in radiative equilibrium like the planets are. So it depends on what you mean by the "temperature of the space," but it does sound like you mean the average radiation temperature.

Likes K. Doc Holiday
Yes, I did mean the average radiation temperature. But I didn't think about the solar wind. I know the solar wind happens every few days, and bigger storms on the order of weeks. Does the solar wind significantly increase the temperature between the planets? Is it something easy to calculate for a ballpark calculation? If you know of a good source, I'd like to know. I know it could also vary depending on the distance from the sun, and I would be interested in how the solar wind temperature depends on sun distance.

The solar wind fills the interplanetary space with warm plasma, so although there are periods where it increases during storms, it's always there. The density is just very low, so you wouldn't feel it if you stuck your hand in it. The temperature does drop with distance due to the expansion that comes with spherically spreading out. It starts out at millions of Kelvin, but by the time you get to Earth it is already down to thousands. I'm sure there's a fine Wiki on the solar wind.

Likes K. Doc Holiday
I'll look at the solar wind in a moment, but I did think of one other thing based on the above comment. I calculated that at 0.86 Au away from the sun, the temperature due only to the incoming radiation of the sun would be 300 Kelvin or so, roughly room temperature. I used the formula on Wiki of

T = (L(1-A)/(16*Pi*Steph_sigma*(D^2)) to the one-fourth power

Where A = 0, L = sun power of 3.846(10 to the 26 power) at 0.86 Au.

Does this mean that at 0.86 Au, an astronaut would pretty much feel they were at room at room temperature or is this some kind of particle energy thing? Would they feel they were at the right warmth without needing any special heaters or coolers? Or would the effective temperature the astronaut feel actually be much colder than this? If the later, what formula would I use to calculate what temperature a person in between the planets would feel?

I'll neglect solar wind for this moment right now.

The temperature of the interplanetary medium is around 100,000oC. But, its density is extremely low [about 5 particles per cc] in the vicinity of earth, so it actually would feel quite chilly. The equilibrium temperature in a shaded area near Earth [the temperature a thermometer would measure] is not much more than 2.7oC, or about the same as the CMB temperature. In direct sunlight the equilibrium temperature could be as high as about 120o C. For further discussion see http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1998-05/893698682.Es.r.html

Just a quick clarification.

"is not much more than 2.7oC, or about the same as the CMB temperature. In direct sunlight the equilibrium temperature could be as high as about 120 C."

Do you mean Kelvin or Celsius here? "same as CMB temperature" seems to imply Kelvin. 2.7 Celsius (~275 Kelvin) is much higher than CMB. Also the same as the 120 C, whether you mean Celsius or Kelvin.

I am unit challenged the CMB temperature is indeed 2.7oK not C whereas the blackbody equilibrium temperature in direct sunlight at Earth distance is 120oC or 394oK.

Chronos said:
I am unit challenged the CMB temperature is indeed 2.7oK not C whereas the blackbody equilibrium temperature in direct sunlight at Earth distance is 120oC or 394oK.
Kelvins are not degrees :smile:

1. What is the average temperature in the space between planets?

The average temperature in the space between planets varies greatly depending on the distance from the Sun. In the inner solar system, the temperature can be very high, reaching up to 1000 degrees Celsius. In the outer solar system, the temperature can be much lower, even reaching temperatures below -200 degrees Celsius.

2. Why does the temperature in the space between planets differ?

The temperature in the space between planets differs due to several factors. The main factor is the distance from the Sun, as planets closer to the Sun receive more direct sunlight and therefore have higher temperatures. Additionally, the composition of the atmosphere and presence of greenhouse gases can also affect the temperature.

3. Is there any temperature change in the space between planets?

Yes, there can be temperature changes in the space between planets. These changes can be caused by several factors such as the planet's orbit, its rotation, and its atmosphere. For example, during a planet's orbit, one side may face the Sun and experience higher temperatures while the other side faces away from the Sun and experiences lower temperatures.

4. How is temperature measured in the space between planets?

Temperature in the space between planets is measured using special instruments onboard spacecrafts or satellites. These instruments use sensors to detect infrared radiation, which is a form of heat energy, and convert it into temperature readings. Scientists also use mathematical models and calculations based on factors such as distance from the Sun and atmospheric composition to estimate temperatures.

5. Can temperature in the space between planets affect life on Earth?

Yes, temperature in the space between planets can indirectly affect life on Earth. The temperature on Earth is regulated by the Sun's energy, and any changes in the temperature of the Sun can impact the Earth's climate. Additionally, extreme temperatures in the space between planets can also affect space missions and their equipment, which can have implications for human life on Earth.