Solve Temperature/Metal Help: Calc Specific Heat & ID

• Thread starter drscrewyou
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around help with understanding chemistry concepts and calculations related to finding the specific heat capacity of a metal. The participants discuss the use of a hot water bath, measuring the volume of water, and determining the identity of a metal through its specific heat capacity. They also share equations and data to aid in the calculations.
drscrewyou
[SOLVED] Temperature/Metal Help

m in desperate need for help because I am horrible at chemistry and i need to do some of these prelab questions that i do not understand.

1. How do you know the final temperature of the metal?

2. Why do you use a hot water bath to heat the metal? (obvious but i think there's something more in depth)

3. Why do you measure the volume of the water in the calorimeter when we need to know the mass of the water for the calculations.

4. *Kinda Long* - You ar given a metal and asked to determine its identity. You are to do this by determining the specific heat of the metal. You place the metal in a boiling water bath for a few minutes and then transfer the metal to a 100.0 g sample of water at a measured temperature. You then record the highest temperature of the water. The dta are given in the table below.

Mass water - 100.0 g
Initial temp of water 21.31 degrees C
FInal temperature of water 24.80 degrees C
Mass metal 50.0 g

a. Given that the specific heat capacity of water is 4.184 J/g C, calculate the amount of heat that is absorbed by the water.

b. how does the heat absorbed by the water compare to the heat lost by the metal?

c. What is the initial temperature of the "hot" metal? What is the final temperature of the metal?

d. Calculate the specific heat capacity of the metal.

e. Given the following specific heat capacities, determine the identity of your metal.

Tin: 0.227 J/g C
Zinc: 0.388 J/g C
Aluminum: 0.891 J/g C

Thank You Fellow Chemistry Members

Physics news on Phys.org
If all the heat from the metal can only pass into the water:

1. c_metal *_m_metal *delta_T_metal = c_water * m_water * delta_T_water

2. delta_T_water = T_final_water - T_initial_water and so on in the case of the metal

From this I think it is possible to answer the 4. question.

Regarding the final temp. of the metal (I am not so good in English, so maybe I misunderstood sg :smile: ) I think it should be equal to the final temp. of water when reaching equilibrium (i.e. no more heat transfer).

Cheers, TtM

1. The final temperature of the metal can be determined by using the equation q = mCΔT, where q is the heat absorbed or released by the metal, m is the mass of the metal, C is the specific heat capacity of the metal, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This equation can be rearranged to solve for the final temperature.

2. A hot water bath is used to heat the metal because it provides a constant and uniform temperature. This ensures that the metal is heated evenly and allows for more accurate measurements.

3. The volume of water in the calorimeter is measured because it is used to calculate the mass of the water. The mass of the water is needed for the calculations because it is one of the variables in the specific heat equation (q = mCΔT).

4. a. The amount of heat absorbed by the water can be calculated using the equation q = mCΔT, where m is the mass of the water, C is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Plugging in the given values, we get q = (100.0 g)(4.184 J/g C)(24.80 - 21.31) = 1458.8 J.

b. The heat absorbed by the water should be equal to the heat lost by the metal, as energy is conserved. Therefore, the heat lost by the metal should also be 1458.8 J.

c. The initial temperature of the hot metal can be calculated using the same equation as before, q = mCΔT, but this time solving for ΔT. Plugging in the given values, we get ΔT = q / (mC) = (1458.8 J) / (50.0 g)(C). The final temperature of the metal can be found by adding this ΔT to the initial temperature of the water, giving us 24.80 + ΔT = 24.80 + (1458.8 J) / (50.0 g)(C).

d. To calculate the specific heat capacity of the metal, we can rearrange the equation q = mCΔT to solve for C, giving us C = q / (mΔT). Plugging in the values from the experiment, we get C = (1458.8 J) / (50.0 g)(24.80 -

What is specific heat and why is it important?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is important because it helps determine how much energy is needed to heat or cool a particular substance, which is crucial in various industries such as cooking, manufacturing, and climate control.

How do you calculate specific heat?

Specific heat can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat transferred by the mass of the substance and the change in temperature. The formula is: Specific heat = (Heat transferred / Mass) x Change in temperature.

What is the difference between specific heat and heat capacity?

Specific heat and heat capacity are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance, while heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of an entire object. Specific heat is an intensive property, while heat capacity is an extensive property.

How does the specific heat of a metal affect its temperature?

The specific heat of a metal determines how much energy is needed to raise its temperature. Metals with higher specific heat require more energy to change their temperature compared to those with lower specific heat. This means that metals with higher specific heat will heat up or cool down more slowly than those with lower specific heat.

How do you identify a metal based on its specific heat?

The specific heat of a metal is a unique property that can be used to identify it. Each metal has a different specific heat value, so by measuring its specific heat and comparing it to a known value, you can determine the type of metal. This is useful in industries such as metallurgy and material science.