Calculate Temperature of Nitrogen Gas at 2 atm Pressure

In summary, the problem given is to find the temperature of a gas with a given pressure and volume. Using the ideal gas law, the amount of moles is calculated and plugged into the equation to solve for temperature. The correct molecular mass for nitrogen is 28 g/mol, resulting in a final answer of 280K.
MisterP
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/know
Given: Nitrogen: 2g, it takes 820cm3 at 2 atm pressure. What is the temperature (T) of gas? Answer: 280K

Homework Equations

P*V = n*R*T
P - pressure
V - velocity
n - moles?
R - constant, 0.0820 ? when I use liters, atm
T - temperature in kelvins

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I calculate moles. 2g/14 - 0,142 moles
Then use equation. 2atm * 0,82L = 0,142moles*0.082*T
And I get a totally different answer for T = 149K

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it said that the gas is molecular nitrogen?

It says: 2 grams of nitrogen

Isn't nitrogen usually found in molecular form, N2?

Should I use 2/28 ?

Yes, I would use 28 g/mol for the molecular mass of nitrogen.

Yes, it works now :) I have not been learning physics since 2006. And now we had this 3 week physics course starting from mechanics up to electrics, that's why I am clumsy on these tasks :(

PF is there to help :smile:

Likes MisterP

1. What is the formula for calculating the temperature of nitrogen gas at 2 atm pressure?

The formula for calculating the temperature of nitrogen gas at 2 atm pressure is T = (P * V) / (n * R), where T is temperature in Kelvin, P is pressure in atmospheres, V is volume in liters, n is the number of moles of gas, and R is the ideal gas constant.

2. How do I convert the temperature from Kelvin to Celsius or Fahrenheit?

To convert the temperature from Kelvin to Celsius, simply subtract 273.15 from the Kelvin temperature. To convert from Kelvin to Fahrenheit, you can use the formula F = (9/5)*T - 459.67, where F is the temperature in Fahrenheit and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is the ideal gas constant and what is its value?

The ideal gas constant (R) is a proportionality constant that relates the temperature, pressure, and volume of an ideal gas. Its value is 0.0821 L*atm/mol*K.

4. Is the temperature of nitrogen gas at 2 atm pressure affected by the volume of the gas?

Yes, the temperature of nitrogen gas at 2 atm pressure is affected by the volume of the gas. As stated in the formula, temperature is directly proportional to volume, so if the volume of the gas increases or decreases, the temperature will also change accordingly.

5. Can I use this formula for calculating the temperature of any gas at 2 atm pressure?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the temperature of any gas at 2 atm pressure, as long as the gas is considered an ideal gas. This means that the gas particles have negligible volume and do not interact with each other, and the temperature is above the gas's boiling point.