1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature of body in space

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    I want to determine the temperature of a body in space exposed to the Sun as it varies with time.
    I tried this.
    Let A be the area exposed to the Sun and 2A the total area of the body. Let 1380 W/m2 be the power of the sunlight falling on the body. Let [tex]\sigma[/tex] be the boltzmann constant, [tex]\epsilon[/tex] the emissivity of the body and T the temperature at a a particular instant of time, m the mass of the body and C the specific heat constant. Then
    \displaystyle\frac{dT}{dt} = \displaystyle\frac{1380A - 2\sigma\epsilon A T^4}{mC}[/tex]
    \displaystyle\frac{mC}{A}\int\displaystyle\frac{1}{1380 - 2\sigma\epsilon T^4}dT = \int dt
    I tried to integrate it on integrals.wolfram.com taking boltzmann constant as 5.6E-8 and emissivity as 0.7. The result was
    [tex]\displaystyle\frac{0.156942mC}{A}(\arctan[0.00230862T]+arctanh[0.00230862T]) + C' = t[/tex]

C' is here the integration constant

I dont know how to proceed further. Can anyone help please?
    Thank you
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2
    Can anyone help please?
  4. Oct 31, 2005 #3
    Are you sure it's T^4? My thermodynamics knowledge is limited but I thought the rate of heat transmition was proportional to deltaT, I might be wrong though. Otherwise, there is no analytic solution to the lower equation for T.
    Edit - nevermind, it's blackbody radiation. Yeah, sorry, can't figure out what's wrong with either your physics or math. The last equation is not solvable for T.
  5. Oct 31, 2005 #4
    But there must be someway to find temperature as a function of time for a body in space exposed to the Sun.
  6. Oct 31, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, there is. You can evaluate your integral numerically.
  7. Oct 31, 2005 #6
    But how do I integrate high temperatures into the equation, say if I want to evaluate it for a body with an initial temperature of 1000 K.
    My Arctanh would give an unreal value for all temperatures higher than 434.78 K.
  8. Oct 31, 2005 #7
    if you notice that ArcTan[x]+ArcTanh[x] for x > 1 always give some value a - 1.5708i , well , make it so your integration constant takes out the imaginary part.
    Edit- more specifically
    for x>1
    ArcTanh[x] = ArcTanh[1/x] -1/2pi*i

Edit: Another approximation:
    for small x
    ArcTanh[x] = ArcTan[x]

another nice identity:
    (you might be able to solve for this actually)
    [tex]tan^{-1}(x) +tan^{-1}(y) = tan^{-1}(\frac{x+y}{1-xy})[/tex]

Last edit - I tried all the above, it doesn't work (not even with shoddy approximations).
  9. Oct 31, 2005 #8
    I didn't notice that before. Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?