Solving Temperature Problem w/ 30g Ice & 60g Water

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the final temperature when 30 grams of ice at -20 degrees Celsius is mixed with 60 grams of water at 60 degrees Celsius. The formula Q = c*m*change in temperature is used to calculate the energy lost by the water and gained by the ice, as well as the energy used in the phase change. The final equation is Q(of water lost)+Q(of ice gained)+Q(of fusion)=0, where all the data is known except for the final temperature (Tf). The only remaining challenge is dealing with the numbers and units in the equation.
daisyi
I have a question sort of similar to the question that a different person asked earlier, but a little bit different.

okay, here it is: Find the final temperature if 30 gr. of ice at -20 deg C is mixed with 60 gr. of water at 60 deg C.

this is what I have done, but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or where to go from here.

I have used the formula Q = c*m*change in temperature.

I calculated the amount of energy lost from the 60 grams of water to be 2400 through the above formula, and the amount of energy that the 30 grams of ice gains is 48015.

As far as what to do from there, I'm not quite sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
the amount of energy lost by the water is the same amount of energy gained by ice plus the energy use in the phase change of ice into water. Therefore, Q(of water lost)+Q(of ice gained)+Q(of fusion)=0
=> C(of water)*M(of water)*( Tf-(Ti of water))+C(of ice)*M(ice) *(Tf-(Ti of ice))+ M(ice)*L(which is the heat of fusion)=0. I know that you have all the data except for Tf, which is the quantity you're looking for. The only problem now is that you have to deal with the numbers and the units of this eqation.

thanks, i see now where I wasn't understanding. Thanks so much! :smile:

1. How do you calculate the final temperature when mixing ice and water?

To calculate the final temperature, we must use the formula Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat exchanged, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. We can set up two equations using the known values for the ice and water, and then solve for the final temperature.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of ice and water?

The specific heat capacity of ice is 2.09 J/g°C, and the specific heat capacity of water is 4.18 J/g°C. This means that it takes more energy to raise the temperature of water compared to ice, as water has a higher specific heat capacity.

3. How do you account for the heat of fusion in this problem?

The heat of fusion is the amount of energy required to change a substance from solid to liquid at its melting point. In this problem, we must account for the heat of fusion of ice when calculating the final temperature. This can be done by multiplying the mass of ice by the heat of fusion (334 J/g), and adding it to the Q value in the equation.

4. Can the final temperature be below 0°C when mixing ice and water?

Yes, it is possible for the final temperature to be below 0°C when mixing ice and water. This is because the heat energy from the water will be used to melt the ice, and may not be enough to raise the temperature of the resulting mixture above 0°C.

5. What assumptions are made in this problem?

In this problem, we assume that there is no heat transfer with the surroundings, and that the ice and water are in thermal equilibrium when mixed. We also assume that the specific heat capacity and heat of fusion values remain constant throughout the process, and that there is no change in pressure or volume.