Temperature and internal energy question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the temperature of a substance given its internal energy, volume, and number of moles. The formula pv = nrt is mentioned but it is noted that more information, such as an initial state and change in internal energy and volume, is needed to accurately calculate the temperature. The formula U=3/2nkT is suggested as a useful tool, along with variations using the Ideal Gas Law.
synx
How can I find the temperature of something if I'm give the internal energy(U), volume(V), and number of moles(N). I thought it'd just be pv = nrt but I am not sure what to do with the internal energy or how to use it with pressure. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
synx said:
How can I find the temperature of something if I'm give the internal energy(U), volume(V), and number of moles(N). I thought it'd just be pv = nrt but I am not sure what to do with the internal energy or how to use it with pressure. Thanks.
I think you will need more than the internal energy, volume and number of moles even if it is an ideal gas. You will need to know an initial state (ie. P,V, n or V, T, n or P, T, n or P, V, T) and the change in internal energy and volume. This is because the heat capacity of a gas is somewhat temperature dependent so although [itex]dU = nC_vdT[/itex] it is not necessarily true that [itex]U = nC_vT[/itex].

Why not just give us the whole problem and we'll see if we can help you.

AM

It's just a ranking task that says Rank from greatest to least the temperatures of the ideal gases below that contain various amounts of internal energy and vorious number of molecules in various volumes." Each case has different internal energy, number of molecules, and volume.

You need to use the formula U=3/2nkT. It can also be useful in forms like U=3/2NRT and U=3/2PV by using the Ideal Gas Law

1. What is the difference between temperature and internal energy?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while internal energy is the total energy of all particles in a substance including both kinetic and potential energy.

2. How are temperature and internal energy related?

Temperature and internal energy are directly proportional to each other. As the temperature increases, so does the internal energy of a substance.

3. What factors affect the temperature and internal energy of a substance?

The temperature and internal energy of a substance can be affected by factors such as the amount of heat added or removed, the type of substance, and the specific heat capacity of the substance.

4. Can temperature and internal energy change independently?

Yes, temperature and internal energy can change independently. This is because temperature is only a measure of the average kinetic energy, while internal energy takes into account all forms of energy.

5. How is temperature and internal energy measured?

Temperature is typically measured using a thermometer, while internal energy is measured in joules or calories using specialized equipment such as calorimeters.