1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature question

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The temperature, T, in ºC, of a yam put into a 200ºC oven is given as a function of time, t, in minutes, by

T=a(1-e-kt)+b

a. If the yam starts at 20ºC, find a and b.
    b. If the temperature of the yam is initially increasing at 2ºC per minute, find k.

2. Relevant equations

Given in problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not really sure how to set up this problem to do part a. I think if I had a and b I'd be able to do part b with some derivatives and algebra but I just can't figure out how to get there. My instincts are telling me to set T = 20 = a(1-e-kt)+b but I don't know how to approach this from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2013 #2

Qube

Gold Member

For part a set time = 0. What happens to e^-kt then? Can you solve for one of the constants?

4. Nov 4, 2013 #3
    When t=0, e=1 and therefore a=0. Therefore b=initial T which in the case of a is 20. Ok great. But what do I do to get a? I think I need to set T=20 but I don't know what I need to set t equal to. I know I can't use zero, but aside from that I don't know what to do.

5. Nov 4, 2013 #4

Qube

Gold Member

Generalizing your statement, you're saying that if any number x is multiplied by zero, that number x is zero.

Do you see a problem with this?

If you have x*0, does this imply that x = 0?

Also, is e a constant or a variable?

6. Nov 4, 2013 #5
    I'm saying that at t=0, a(1-e-kt) will equal zero because e0=1, 1-1=0 and a*0=0.

I wasn't trying to imply that.

e is the constant Euler's number.

7. Nov 4, 2013 #6

Qube

Gold Member

a*0 indeed equals 0, but we're deviating from the original problem. Are there other parts to the original equation even when you substitute 0 in for time and 20 degrees C in for the temperature?

Right, and e = 2.71 (approximately). Not 1.

8. Nov 4, 2013 #7
    What do you mean by "other parts"?

But if we're setting t=0, it will be e-k*0. -k*0=0 so it will be e0=1.

9. Nov 4, 2013 #8

Qube

Gold Member

What happened to the variables you were solving for? Surely if they all canceled out then this would be a bad question on the part of the teacher, right?

e^0 = 1.

You stated e = 1.

10. Nov 4, 2013 #9
    Wait what? What do you mean "what happened to the variables you were solving for?" I was only trying to say everything but b is canceled out when t=0. Surely you must see that.

Ok that was a false. Take it as e0=1

11. Nov 4, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. So you've got b. Now what happens if t is very, very large?

12. Nov 4, 2013 #11

Qube

Gold Member

T = a(y) + b, where y is substituted in for whatever function that a was multiplied by.

If y = 0, then

T = a(0) + b

Do you see what happens (contrary to what you think?)

13. Nov 4, 2013 #12
    When t gets very large, e-kt approaches 0. So the equation becomes a(1-0)+b=T. This is simplified to a+b=T where b is the initial temperature and T is the final temperature. Therefore a=T-b.

Yes I get it. But in this scenario a(0)=0. I just simplified it.

14. Nov 4, 2013 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's it. t=0 gives you one constant and t=infinity gives you the other one. Now you just need to find k. You are given dT/dt=2 at t=0. So?

15. Nov 5, 2013 #14
    Solving for k I get 1/90, which appears to be the right answer in the back of the book. Along with my answers for a and b. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted