Temperature related to yield or type of explosion? Nuclear vs conventional.

In summary, the yields of nuclear explosions are very dependent on the size of the explosion and the target.
Researcher X
Are the temperatures produced from a nuclear reaction special in anyway? If a 20 kiloton nuke is producing hundreds of thousands of degrees at it's center, would the same ballpark be true of 20,000 tons of TNT, which is roughly equal in yield?

Science news on Phys.org
No - it's a question of concentrating the energy.
20,000 t of TNT fills a rather inconveniently large warehouse - putting all that energy into a few cm^3 of core is tricky.

So, temperature is independent of yield of energy?

I'd also like to know if you could point me somewhere I can find estimates of yield versus crater size (possibly a calculator or program) for ground contact explosions.

Researcher X said:
So, temperature is independent of yield of energy?

No. As mgb was saying, you get higher temperatures in the nuke case because the volume of the energy source is so much smaller initially. The temperature for both nuke and TNT ratios with yield.

Researcher X said:
I'd also like to know if you could point me somewhere I can find estimates of yield versus crater size (possibly a calculator or program) for ground contact explosions.

Seems a pretty easy thing to find with Google. No luck?

No luck, actually. There's plenty to do with fireball/blast radius. I seem to remember one which was a program which showed the height of a building in the crater, but I think that might have been an asteroid impact one.

Researcher X said:
No luck, actually. There's plenty to do with fireball/blast radius. I seem to remember one which was a program which showed the height of a building in the crater, but I think that might have been an asteroid impact one.

I just googled your words -- yield versus crater size, and got lots of hits. The first one is this thread here at the PF (gotta love those Google spiders), but the rest look promising. What about the 2nd hit on the list -- does it help?

http://www.google.com/search?source...GGLL_enUS301US302&q=yield+versus+crater+size+

Last edited:
Sort of, but I'm not good at maths, so I'll have to take some time working out what the formula mean. I'm actually trying to estimate how large a yield you'd need to create a 1000 meter deep transient crater. If Tsar Bomba had been a surface blast, could it have done this? I'm wondering how much power you'd need to eradicate a mountain, which is why I use "1000 meters".

I know that the Sedan Underground Test (104 kilotons) created a 100 meter deep permanent crater (the very largest man made crater), so I would guess we are talking many many Megatons here.

1. How does temperature affect the yield of a nuclear explosion?

The yield of a nuclear explosion is directly related to the temperature reached during the explosion. As the temperature increases, the rate of nuclear reactions also increases, resulting in a higher yield.

2. What is the difference between the temperature reached in a nuclear explosion compared to a conventional explosion?

A nuclear explosion can reach much higher temperatures, in the range of millions of degrees, compared to a conventional explosion which typically only reaches a few thousand degrees.

3. Can temperature affect the type of explosion in a nuclear device?

Yes, the temperature reached in a nuclear explosion can determine the type of explosion. For example, a higher temperature can cause a fusion reaction, resulting in a more powerful explosion compared to a fission reaction.

4. How does temperature affect the destructive power of a nuclear explosion?

The higher the temperature reached in a nuclear explosion, the more destructive power it will have. This is due to the increased energy released from the nuclear reactions.

5. Is there a maximum temperature that can be reached in a nuclear explosion?

The maximum temperature that can be reached in a nuclear explosion is dependent on the type and size of the nuclear device. However, it is estimated that temperatures in the range of tens of millions of degrees can be reached in a thermonuclear (fusion) device.