Temperature Rise of Steel Ball in Water/Ice

In summary, the problem involves calculating the temperature rise of a steel ball dropped into water at different temperatures. The equation ΔQ = mcΔT is used, and the specific heat capacity of steel needs to be looked up. The final temperature of the steel and water will be the same in both scenarios.
GoodOldLimbo

Homework Statement

If a steel ball of mass 100 grams at a temperature of 100° is dropped into 1 litre of water at 20°C, what is the temperature rise? What would happen if it were dropped into a mixture of ice and water at 0°C?

Homework Equations

I assume that I'm required to use ΔQ = mcΔT. Also the general idea that heat lost by test sample = heat gained by water.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I assumed:

0.1 x C x (100-t1) = 1 x 4200 x (t2-20)

But I don't think I can approach that due to a lack of knowledge on the change in temperature:

Then I assumed if I was supposed to use (100-20) for both temperatures. Which ends up in C = 42000. But even then I'm not sure where to go. Is it possible that there isn't enough information given? Or am I encourage to find the specific heat capacity of steel from another source?

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the same is the final temperature of the steel and the water. And, yes, you need to look up the specific heat of steel. (Check your book.)

1. What factors affect the temperature rise of a steel ball in water/ice?

The temperature rise of a steel ball in water/ice is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature of the water/ice, the mass and surface area of the steel ball, and the type of material the steel ball is made of.

2. How does the temperature of the water/ice affect the temperature rise of the steel ball?

The initial temperature of the water/ice greatly affects the temperature rise of the steel ball. If the water/ice is at a higher temperature, the steel ball will absorb more heat and therefore experience a greater temperature rise.

3. Does the mass of the steel ball have an impact on the temperature rise in water/ice?

Yes, the mass of the steel ball does impact the temperature rise in water/ice. A larger mass means there is more material to absorb and retain heat, resulting in a higher temperature rise.

4. Can the surface area of the steel ball affect the temperature rise in water/ice?

Yes, the surface area of the steel ball can also affect the temperature rise in water/ice. A larger surface area means there is more surface area for heat exchange, resulting in a greater temperature rise.

5. How does the type of material the steel ball is made of influence the temperature rise in water/ice?

The type of material the steel ball is made of can greatly impact the temperature rise in water/ice. Different materials have different thermal conductivity, which affects how well they can absorb and retain heat. For example, a steel ball made of copper will experience a greater temperature rise compared to a steel ball made of aluminum in the same conditions.