1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature rise?

1. Mar 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Cooking gas containers are kept in a lorry moving with uniform speed. The temperature of the gas molecules inside the containers will increase, decrease or stay the same?

2. Relevant equations
    T is proportional to KE of gas molecules.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought it would increase, because the average KE of the gas molecules would increase. But the answer says stays the same.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2016 #2
    Hi erisedk:

I think you forgot that temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy (KE) with respect to the center of mass of the material. Although the KE is increased with respect to a fixed point on the ground, that increase is irrelevant to temperature.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Mar 21, 2016 #3
    Thank you, I definitely don't think I even knew that. If the car were accelerating, would the temperature still not change because the increase in velocity would occur for the centre of mass as well?

5. Mar 21, 2016 #4
    Hi erisedk:

Temperature does not include the KE of the center of mass (COM). It is the proportional to the average of the KE of the particles relative to the COM. That is, for each particle its
    KE = 1/2 mv2
    where v is the velocity of the particle relative to the systems COM.

Regards,
    Buzz

6. Mar 21, 2016 #5
    Oh yeah, I got that. So even if it were accelerating, no change in temperature right?

7. Mar 21, 2016 #6
    Hi erisedk:

Right.

Regards,
    Buzz

8. Mar 21, 2016 #7
    Thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted