1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature vs Heat

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1
    In terms of Kelvins, if the temperature of a sample doubles, does the energy content from heat double as well?

Also, if you are passing a current through a sample, what should be the temperature vs current relation be theoretically? i.e. what is f(I) in T = f(I).

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2012 #2

Ken G

Gold Member

Usually, though not always. It's not a fundamental feature of the connection between energy and temperature, but it is a common connection.
    Generally one talks about the heating rate generated by a current, according to P = I2/R. So given I and R, you can find the heating rate. What that does to T depends on the cooling rate. Sometimes the cooling rate is proportional to T, so in equilibrium T would be proportional to I2, but there are many other ways that the cooling could depend on T.

4. Jun 2, 2012 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just to add to what Ken G has said, temperature is a measure of the translational kinetic energy of the molecules in the sample. But the internal energy of a sample is not just the translational kinetic energy. It can include potential energy as well. A good example is water. It takes a lot of energy to turn ice at 0C into water at 0C. This is the energy required just to break enough of the inter-molecular bonds between water molecules to turn the substance from a solid to a liquid. The liquid water molecules at 0C have much more potential energy than ice - 334 J per gram more energy - but temperature has not increased at all.

Use the first law of thermodynamics: Q = ΔU + W.

Lets assume you pass a current I through a resistance R for one second and no mechanical work (such as turning a motor to lift something) is done (W = 0). In that case, Q = ΔU. The electrical energy flow is heat flow: Q = I2RΔt = I2R (since Δt = 1) The units would be in Joules.

In general if no mechancal work is done, in time t: Q = ΔU = I2Rt.

Assuming a constant heat capacity for the sample over the temperature change that this energy causes, then Q = mCvΔT where m is the mass and Cv is the heat capacity at constant volume. So ΔT = I2Rt/mCv.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook