Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperatures in a pool

1. Aug 29, 2005 #1
    Ok, I'm a bit stressed because of lack of information in a project, and I really need some resources for this.

I'm in a group with a project where we're supposed to find the amount of oxygen in an outdoor pool. There's a lot of chemistry in this, but we're also supposed to have a physics part in this too. Unfortunately, we were not able to get information quickly enough for this, and therefore I'm stressed now. I talked to the physics-teacher today, and he suggested us to concentrate on temperatures, and the relation between density and pressure. Also, the "mixing ratio" could be interesting.
    (PS: unfortunately, we could only get data from a depth of 4 meters, so the temperature-fluctuations were about a half degree C. Therefore I'm unsure if it is no point in talking about temperature...?)

My question is if there are some on this board that by coincidence have a few resources/links where I can get good info about this. My knowledge in this part of physics is equal to zero, so please don't put up some really advanced stuff. (And I know, I should use google, but I have serious trouble with time, so I thought I could use the "short-cut" by posting here, sorry if I shouldn't)

(PS: There are no vegetation in the pool)

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2005 #2
    You really should have googled it, it is much faster unless yyou do not know what to look for. thre is a nice brief discussion here about basics
    http://waterontheweb.org/under/waterquality/oxygen.html

I guess that methods to determine oxygen concentration are known and widely used by enviromentalists. From the theoretical point of view we are speaking about partition coefficient for the molecular oxygen dissoved in water. that is rather empirical value, and I am knot sure if there is any method to come with reasonable theoretical estimation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?